Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tag brand change-number sequence?  (Read 2539 times)

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
Ear tag brand change-number sequence?
« on: April 22, 2015, 06:22:12 pm »
Another tag Q, sorry.

I use button tags for pigs so ordered a set of red button tags when we got the sheep (we don't breed so would only ever need replacements). Haven't used any but have come to the conlusion that they are too big for the ronnies and the goats (same flock number all ok'd by AHVLA) so want to get bubble tags or similar, probably from Fearing as we normally deal with them and found them to be superb.

Can/should I just store the button tags 1-10 and order bubble tags 1-10 or do I need to go from 11 with the new ones? I figure if the number on the animal matches the number in the flock book it shouldn't matter too much either way, especially if I have all the red button tags available to show an inspector as 'evidence' if it were needed?

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Re: Ear tag brand change-number sequence?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 09:22:57 pm »
Hi ! I'm not 100% sure and am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you will find you cannot repeat no:,s that you have already had so they would have to issue from 11 onwards. I think they're computerised.  :idea:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 09:25:57 am »
Defra control the individual numbers so you can't start again.  Speak to your supplier, they will confirm what options you have.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 09:57:41 am »
We had a batch of tags that were largely rubbish and broke when we were trying to put them in. As a result certain numbers just didn't get used. When we ordered ( different type !!) The sequence carried on. I don't think there's anything you can do about it

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 11:26:14 am »
Yes all the tag suppliers use the same central computer list, so you get the next in sequence.  Allflex Bubblegum are good.  Haven't had a broken one yet.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 03:29:54 pm »
Yup, you'll get the next in sequence.
I just ordered some red tags to put in sheep that are missing tags completely, and got the next in sequence from my breeding tags. I had thought the red ones would run in their own sequence but they just followed on too.

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 10:22:36 pm »
Okey dokey, thanks all for confirming. So I'll put the red button tags in a little box with a note saying abandoned due to welfare grounds or something, keep them safe forever and ever, then start with number 11 of the new tags!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS