Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When the time come  (Read 10199 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: When the time come
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 09:38:29 pm »
Yes half a pig - half a day. ensure that it comes back well chilled and then crack on. Buckets for fat and trimmings plus shoulder meat should be chilled down before you start on the sausages ( next day). If you are making ham then have the brine chilled dowm ( we put a bin bag in a camping fridge and keep it at about 3 degrees). I would suggest the you bone the leg for a ham.
If you get the blood back then use belly fat for the black puddings (make ASA) and use the belly fat and meat with the liver to make pate .
Oh - if you double grind the meat for sausages then pop the meat and fat in the freezer before grinding each time as the grinding generates heat and a poor texture. We leave sausages overnight to meld flavours before freezing.
Enjoy !!! 
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
Re: When the time come
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 10:12:54 pm »
I agree with the half a pig = about half a day including jointing, putting bacon into cure and hams into brine...

Caroline1- before I had a pick up truck and was transporting in a car, I used brand new tarpaulin or have also used thick (new) plastic sheeting. If you're worried about space but want to do some home butchery ask them to cut each half into primals which will be fine in a car with seats pushed flat. They may even put the primals into a large plastic bag for you if you ask them.

MarthaR

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS