Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spot On?  (Read 4541 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Spot On?
« on: April 21, 2015, 04:21:12 pm »
Hi
I've seen 'SpotOn' mentioned sometimes on here, just wondering if it is one made for sheep? and where would I get some?

One of my sheep is rubbing her fleece off, tufts of it everywhere, I'm sure it's not scab, they haven't been in contact with others since the tup in December, and I'm sure he was OK.

Any other ideas please, farmer suggested lice when she was scratching last year and I just sprinkled some louse powder on her.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Spot On?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 04:25:12 pm »
I used Spot On on my wethers last summer but I think it's only really effective after shearing and I've jabbed with Dectomax before now as well, which has the advantage of killing internal parasites as well as extental ones!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 05:41:29 pm »
You should be able to see lice with the naked eye, just about crawling about. If you can get the Spot On (the one to use is Cooper's Spot -On, now called someone else's Spot-On, as it has been bought by another company, but they will know which you mean and you can buy it in the merchants usually rather than getting from the vets) directly onto the skin it should be effective, just need to part the fleece well over her shoulder blades. If you have it on one sheep you probably have others with the little critters too... I have always done all of the ones in the same paddock/possible direct contact. Will need repeating three weeks after 1st treatment.

Of course if you are shearing soon it will be better.

But it could also be that they are getting hot and bothered with this warm weather and a heavy fleece...

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 08:19:14 pm »
If there's been poorly at all over the winter n been on meds, she could drop fleece after that.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 01:53:20 pm »
Thanks
They've wintered quite well, no meds or stress, she does have a heavy fleece, so maybe the warm weather is bothering her.
I'll see if I can see anything on her but she's a job to catch, ex pet lamb who know how near to come before bouncing away  ::) .
They are due to lamb early+mid May, so I how soon can we shear after lambing? We tend to be later up here, June/July.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 02:36:55 pm »
I have clipped in late May with no problems at all, depends a bit of course on the weather...

If it causes her to stress to be caught now I would wait until she lambs when she comes in anyway for at least a day or so (?) and you can deal with anything while you have her "captive"...

I have also clipped a couple of days after lambing, while they were still in their pens in mid-May (the late lambers one year when 1st choice tup was infertile), and so the lambs had no problems recognising their mums with a new hair-cut...

babysham

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Lancashire/Yorkshire Border
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 09:28:00 am »
I use Spot On (purchased from my Vet) on my bottle fed lambs as they always seem to get lice. Only use it on the rest of the flock if a shortage of Crovec and similar stuff as there was last year or for pouring directly onto an early maggot strike if not Croveced the bunch yet (watch the buggers jump off)!!!! You just use it as a pour on and can use a small syringe - no need for a special applicator. Glad to say I have got my Crovec early this year  :excited:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 02:43:37 pm »
Thanks, so, with only 2 adult ewes who are due to lamb early + end of May, could I use this stuff instead of Crovect?
(just been given 2 'pet' lambs, and probably a problem),

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 03:31:30 pm »
A couple of my Badger Face always rub off the fleece along their flanks as they near lambing - I think it's because the lambs are a bit lively and they're finding life rather uncomfortable.  They stop immediately they've lambed.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 04:11:34 pm »
Spot On wont do the job of Clickzin/Click even Crovect etc in terms of preventing fly strike   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS