Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: School Farms  (Read 6119 times)

redborneschoolfarm

• Joined Apr 2012
School Farms
« on: April 21, 2015, 02:11:58 pm »
Just out of interest are there many of us out there who are running school farms?

Tregwyr

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: School Farms
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 03:57:13 pm »
No, but love to find out more about what you do and how you got into it.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 06:59:28 pm »
Here is Sussex , Oathall College in Haywards Heath have one, and Tonbridge Boys School have piglets from us regularly that they grow and end up on the lunch table.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 09:32:17 pm »
You know me off Twitter ???? just started posting on here instead of just lurking!

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 08:39:52 am »
Good morning,

ive just started working at a school running the agricultural side of things for the land based studies team.

Looking to have calves, goats, chickens, ducks, sheep and a few pigs for fattening to then be used in the school canteen.

If anyone wants to get in touch with idea sharing etc then feel free to message me on here anytime, it will be good to hear from you.
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 10:20:48 pm »
Hi Deere
Is that a new setup then? I really enjoyed planning and seeing our stuff coming together!

Are they going to be doing BTEC or GCSE or something else?

redborneschoolfarm

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 09:44:42 am »
Deere that sounds very interesting, where are you based?

Blondie

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 03:59:19 pm »
I am currently a chemistry teacher but would love to work teaching on a farm doing more outdoors stuff.

How does someone get into it?

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 09:59:59 pm »
I was a science teacher too, but it came up in our curriculum. Managed to keep it as an option subject for last four years, got three groups in yr11 next year and two in yr10.

Anyone can offer it as an option but you need space, setup money, decent budget for feeding etc, weekend and hols cover (I have two lovely ladies that do half each), which is why it's not commonly done. Definitely possible and the kids are superb with animals around site (one snowball, chucked at a pig, in four years!)

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 10:19:38 pm »
Its a school for kids and young adults with learning difficulties or autism based in south derbyshire.
Ive worked in agriculture since i left ag college back in 99 so thought it was time for something a bit more than driving a tractor and saw this as a good opportunity.
Its been run down for a year or more so ive now got the job of building it back up and stocking it with livestock. Im full time so i will try to take my holidays in term time when theres folk around to keep an eye on the place and for weekends theres some great carer's and other weekend workers who will help out.
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 11:52:58 am »
Several founder members of the Gloucestershire Old Spot Club were school farms or community farms.
Reddish Vale High School in Cheshire is one that springs to mind.
You can also check out http://www.farmgarden.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28
hth
Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS