Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Incubator  (Read 1133 times)

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
Incubator
« on: April 21, 2015, 02:09:21 pm »
Hi Guys,

I need and incubator for hen and goose egg's. What should I buy and what not to buy. Any help please.

David

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Incubator
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 09:54:00 pm »
I use a Brinsea Octagon for both - the 20 will fit 9 of my goose eggs (and the 40 is just twice the size so 18 goose eggs). Chicken eggs vary - as you can tell by the name, it's supposed to fit 20 but I think those are small chicken eggs. I love it for incubating, am less convinced for hatching (the fans dry out the membranes and you can't get it really humid in there) so might buy an alternative for that. I've got the full on version - with the cradle and humidity pump but since I'm hatching waterfowl at the moment, I don't really need either as I turn by hand and run it dry.

H

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Incubator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 08:49:15 am »
Also use a couple Octagons with auto turn and have the same reservations as Hester ref hatching in them. Luckily I've picked up an old Brinsea Polyhatch 48 which works but the turner motor has failed so I got it cheap. Next batch will go into this at day 18. Also hoping that if I put the eggs on one side, any hatched chicks will work their way over to the emtpy half instead of scrambling around on the unhatched eggs and rolling them around.

I'm sure the Octagons dry out membranes if the chick takes a while to get out. I usually have to 'unpack' a couple each hatch and they are perfectly fine, just get shrink wrapped.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS