Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long to save hatching eggs before putting in incubator?  (Read 4956 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
How long to save hatching eggs before putting in incubator?
« on: April 20, 2015, 10:35:30 am »
I'm planning on setting some Aylesbury eggs to incubate soon. How long can I keep them (at room temp in cool place obv) before putting in incubator? I only have 2 ducks so want to collect a few eggs before firing up the incubator (and it's gone out to someone to borrow- need to get it back as they had no luck with it!)

Thanks

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: How long to save hatching eggs before putting in incubator?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 11:08:32 am »
Last year another tas member found eggs, had no idea how old they were, I put them in incubator and had had excellent hatch rate,
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 11:18:07 am »
with ducks I would't keep them longer than a week
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 01:36:55 pm »
Yes that's what I was thinking given their shorter shelf life. Great thanks, will get the incubator back this week  :fc:

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 05:55:01 pm »
Twizzle if it helps any my Muscovy has just started sitting on her eggs, layed 11 then started sitting next day from the 11th so 12 days in total from first one layed, personally I collect for 10 days before setting

Mandy

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 02:54:53 pm »
Fertility slowly starts to drop after 7 days so ideally don't keep any longer than than that if possible.

Some eggs will hatch even weeks old though, partridges regularly sit on clutches of 15-20 and hatch the lot out!  :thumbsup:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 07:17:01 pm »
I always get confused by this.  I have had ducks geese and chickens lay away with as many as 18 eggs and had a 100% hatch from them , I have also kept eggs until I have enough to set, I saved 20 eggs from a 1 Dutch bantam and 19 of them hatched in the incubator
Graham

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 08:41:21 pm »
Hello,

I have also found that my ducks will lay up to 20 eggs and then sit on them and the whole lot will hatch. As long as they don't get knocked about or get too hot/cold I think they keep for a good couple of weeks when using an artificial incubator and longer if you are going to set them under a duck or a hen!

Have a try, as long as your incubator is good and the humidity etc is right you will be surrounded by ducklings in not time at all!

Good luck :) Let us know how it goes!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 10:37:30 pm »
Thanks. They currently have 14 in a very neat nest in their house. Normally the eggs are moved around a lot but these seem to be staying still and just added to. So going to see what they do with them. If no luck I'll save some up and put them in the incubator ????

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS