Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambing in May  (Read 7979 times)

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Lambing in May
« on: April 19, 2015, 01:31:36 pm »
Has anyone  got any input about lambing in May. My tups couldnt go in with the  ewes till January  as fencing at new place didnt go according to plan ???? I know with the new grass coming through  will have to watch weight gain.
They are Boreray, will leave mineral  lick in with them and feed ad lib concentrate the last 3 weeks before they lamb.
Anything else l  need to know ? Going to Hep P  them next  weekend when l do them with Spot on.
Any input gratefully  received

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Lambing in May
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 01:42:57 pm »
I can't really see why you would need ad lib concentrate, given they are May lambing with good grass, and are a primitive breed. I've not fed mine a thing (shedders) and have been struggling with big singles due to good grass growth!

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 02:19:20 pm »
Hi Porterlauren, my grass is coarse lots of couch grass,not been grazed  for years. Not your 'lush grass' so to speak.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 02:33:26 pm »
If there is any grass - no concentrates needed. Crap grass in May should be plenty for primitive ewes without supplementation of food. Save the feed bill

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 03:06:37 pm »
Oh right, leave the mineral bucket though ?

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 03:24:37 pm »
Having lambed plenty of flocks in May I think your # 1 problem will be them getting too fat/big lambs

take the food away and I would take the blocks away too + keep them as tight as possible on grass until 10 days before due date

I struggled to keep mine lean enough which is why I moved away from May lambing----I find the optimum time for outdoor grass only lambing in my part of the world is 12th April

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 03:41:40 pm »
I stay in Caithness, the grass doesn't come through as soon as yours down in Englandshire !
Thanks everyone much appreciated for the input, will keep an eye on their condition score. :thumbsup:

sarahdean_66

• Joined May 2012
  • Yelling Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 03:45:13 pm »
the biggest problem i had with lambing in may was flystrike! was very warm last year and I had problems with them on newly lambed ewes.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 03:53:04 pm »
Hi Porterlauren, my grass is coarse lots of couch grass,not been grazed  for years. Not your 'lush grass' so to speak.

That 'lush grass' is the biggest problem i've had this year. Kept the singles and hoggs on absolute crap right up until the last couple of weeks before lambing and then turned them into lambing paddocks with good grazing. In hind sight I should have waited until they had started dropping lambs before turning them onto the better grass! But you live and you learn!

Primitives should be able to produce viable lambs on your grazing in May, it's what they were born to do!

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 04:23:57 pm »
Have been giving them concentrate through winter with bruised barley 1/2 - 1/2 , got some barley left would it be ok to use it up giving them some on the wet n windy days still to come ?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 04:54:54 pm »
Its hard to say without seeing them but going on the information given; as a blind answer I would say "no".

ps. safer to use it up after lambing
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 05:00:27 pm by Me »

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 05:37:27 pm »
Thank you everyone   :thumbsup:

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 09:14:02 pm »
In all honesty, by feeding them too much now, you;re probably doing more harm than good. A wet and windy night won't bother a sheep!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 09:49:58 pm »
If you put the tup in in January aren't you looking at nearer June? My girls were tupped in December and I'm looking at May?

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 10:10:24 pm »
Can't add much to the advice already given, but if you have concentrate to use up, then wait 'til they've lambed; if they're kept indoors for a day or two you'll need to feed them some concentrate anyway to help get the milk going (though the grass is better ASAP) and feeding concentrate when they've lambed and are into milk production won't be a problem - they'll be ravenous after lambing it they're anything like mine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS