Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Udder question!  (Read 2134 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
Udder question!
« on: April 19, 2015, 10:35:19 am »
Ok, didn't think Daisy was in calf, if she is, according to AI dates, she should calve in the next 4 weeks.  (was AI'd twice).  She came out of the winter quite skinny and I have been feeding her twice a day for the last 3 weeks since she has been back on home paddock. On adlib haylage and grass.  She doesn't look pregnant but has bagged up but only on the left side!!  Left front and back quarter are full, right front and back quarter are nothing!!!  Is there any reason a quarter would "bag up" if they are not in calf??  She had a touch of mastitis last year in the back right quarter, I treated it with antibee cream into the teat for 3 days and stripped it out, it cleared up within days and continued to produce milk all summer.  Would this effect that quarter (and the one infront) this year?  We are now running a book on whether Daisy is going to calve or not!!! 

Agnes the heifer is due in about 2 weeks, she has a small bag and just starting to relax her pelvic muscles.  At least I know she is in calf and things are progressing normally!!

Any ideas anyone?

crimson

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Udder question!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 01:52:23 pm »
Any lumps on the udder?

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 01:55:36 pm »
No lumps, left front and back just nicely full, bagged up, no tenderness, teats beginning to get engorged.  Just like a normal udder prior to calving but only on one side!!  Right side front and back no lumps, just flat, unbagged up udder!!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 05:36:20 pm by trish.farm »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 10:27:08 am »
Is it milk or what my vet calls 'felon'?  Kitty - unbulled heifer - had this in one teat only.  Vet not particularly worried although admitted it could mean an increased likelihood of mastitis if I did breed from her. 

Apols if I do not get back for a while; my laptop appears to have a virus (despite my using all the security software I should and being, IMO, very careful.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 11:04:48 am »
Oooh, hope your laptop survives Sally!!   :fc:

The 2 quarters that are bagging up look totally normal, cant tell if it is milk unless I try milking it and obviously don't want to do that as I could mess up the whole process!!!  eeek!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS