Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Unexpected Benefits  (Read 1440 times)

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Unexpected Benefits
« on: April 19, 2015, 09:21:15 am »
We have now finished our first calving, 2 healthy boys and 1 healthy girl.

I work away from home and (predictably) all the calves came whilst I was away and my wife had to deal with them all on her own - but it turns out that if you have cows and are willing to ask you are not on your own.

Beth called a retired farmer we know for help with the first calf, he was on holiday but his son picked up the message and came straight round with a couple of other people (none of whom we have met before).  He then came back a day or 2 later to check on things whilst Beth was at work.
Then the farmer we bought hay from came round to check that things were OK.
Then the original farmer she called came round to see that all was well and help ring the calf.
Then another local farmer (who we had never met before) had us round for coffee and to look at his set up as I had been looking for someone to give me advice on building a cow shed.

Every one of these farmers separately said something along the lines of "farmers are hear to help each other so never hesitate to call, we will happily come round any time".

And then there is the Breed Association which is full of helpful people...............

I am pretty sure that the local farmers have been so helpful because it is cattle that we have.  I doubt that they would be nearly so interested in helping us if we had horses and alpacas!

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
Re: Unexpected Benefits
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 09:38:35 am »
Farmers are the most helpful people possible, and don't want anything in return.  They just want to help each other. 

Our machinery is either parked in our yard, being used by us, or being used by one of many local farmers.  We are all small farms locally and constantly help each other out.  When I got my first Jersey gitls 3 years ago, one local farmer collected them for me, (and sourced) my baby Jerseys.  He also gets my extra add on calves for me.  Another farmer helps me calve and rings them for me.  Another who is retiring keeps bringing me sheep hurdles and cattle gates which he no longer needs. 

Yep cattle farmers are incredibly kind and helpful.  I would have been lost without everyones help!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS