Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: La Bresse table birds  (Read 4115 times)

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
La Bresse table birds
« on: April 18, 2015, 09:13:02 pm »
Just thought I'd report on the La Bresse birds I hatched in November...

We dispatched a particularly annoying cockerel on Wednesday and roast him tonight.  I was somewhat dubious to say the least as the breast was dissapointingly small and narrow, but looking at images online, that seems to be a trait. Also, being a cockerel I was concerned about taint and when cooking he was fairly oderous. He weighed in at 3lb 14oz dressed.

When I cut into the breast it was moist and tender and the flavour was sublime! The very meaty legs were consumed with gusto by my son who also said they were very good.

So, at 164 days old and without "benefit" of an epinette or a special diet, I can safely say that free range La Bresse cockerel is really very tasty indeed!  I've had hubbards before and they were very nice as well, with far larger breasts, but I think the flavour of this one was outstanding.

I have 2 more cockerels and one hen so at least one more will be heading towards the oven soon - I think taint will come through if I'm not quick - and maybe I'll keep the pair for breeding or selling on.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
Re: La Bresse table birds
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 11:56:05 am »
I will be processing some this summer so interested in your findings.

With you rearing them over winter did you give them extra lighting hours, i have found table birds difficult to fattern without extra lighting in a barn.

La Bresse are suposed to be ready at 16 - 20 weeks and i dont think they really put on weight after that.
They should make around 2.2kg

I am doing some Label Rough style hybrids as well to compare

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 11:09:47 pm »
The one we killed did have extra lighting for a couple of weeks.   He was seperated from the others because he was very aggressive (hence his demise) and his housing had light during that period. He was returned to the flock when we got a more senior cockerel to keep tabs on him.

I think mine had around 23 weeks, so not far off, but hadn't made 2.2kg and didn't have a lot of spare fat, unlike the Hubbards who had so much fat on their innards they were pretty much obscured (learnt a lesson there: don't ad lib table birds!).

What is the Label Rouge hybrid? Something with more breast meat would be good...

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 10:01:56 pm »
Label Rouge is a style / standard of rearing free range french style meat birds.

The type I have are Poulet Galouise from S & T poultry, they are a free range hybrid type broiler with the same type of stature as the La Bresse making 2.2kg in 16 weeks.
The main problem with them for me is there not sustainable un like La Bresse, so I need to work on this breed or start to cross my own.

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 06:47:49 am »
Epinettes for La Bresse kind of go against having them free range, in my opinion. However, La Bresse do need a period of confinement, whether it be a barn, shed or small cage, with a high protein ration to bring them on that bit extra. Say 2-4 weeks but obviously somewhere more humane. If you are doing them for meat, the cockerels need to be separated from the pullets as they will spend too much time fighting, chasing, trying to mate and saving food for pullets to call them over rather than foraging and eating. That is one of the reasons why the French caponise their cockerels.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 01:14:40 pm »
Yes mine will go into a run of about 10' x 12' for the last 2 weeks.
I know the Americans are big into caponisation but I don't think it's something I would ever consider.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 02:56:03 pm »
Epinettes for La Bresse kind of go against having them free range, in my opinion. However, La Bresse do need a period of confinement, whether it be a barn, shed or small cage, with a high protein ration to bring them on that bit extra. Say 2-4 weeks but obviously somewhere more humane. If you are doing them for meat, the cockerels need to be separated from the pullets as they will spend too much time fighting, chasing, trying to mate and saving food for pullets to call them over rather than foraging and eating. That is one of the reasons why the French caponise their cockerels.

My cockerels certainly are very "active" and constantly chase the girls and pick fights.  Better now there are only two and one is far dominant to the other.  They aren't very nice characters really.  I'm doing another soon, so may shut him in the barn for a couple of weeks first, but really, I'd prefer a little less finish to having an unhappy bird.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 09:41:54 pm »
If Your looking for a pure meat bird then it's all about the size and growth rate, but for me with them being excellent layers of huge eggs, if can get mine to 1.8 - 2kg in 20 weeks I will be more than happy.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 07:08:17 pm »
Another good point I am noticing, I have a few chicks 1 week old and they are already feathering up quickly  :thumbsup:

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 07:29:55 am »
Yeah, mine are really good layers too, far better than my Sussex and Orpingtons!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS