Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Babies biting teats - Update  (Read 2826 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Babies biting teats - Update
« on: April 17, 2015, 08:11:59 pm »
Hi
As in previous posts, Boer 2nd kidder had triplets. I've been feeding smallest in the hope he wouldn't bother about fighting for a teat as much.
REALLY didn't want to take them off and milk her because I have a problem with my knee, major problems sitting on my little buffet.
yesterday I noticed blood on her leg, and found the back of each teat was like a big scab. obviously now taken kids off, problems getting 3 week olds onto bottle, tried to milk her this morning and tonight, got about 750ml off her tonight, 40 mins and knee hurts like hell.
BUT main problem is as I'm milking (and she's going up, forward, back, sideways etc) it is bleeding again, only seeping but worrying, obviously tried to be gentle but small teats don't give much room for avoidance. I've put some udder cream on, not sure whether that was wise or not.
Any ideas please?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 11:29:59 am by penninehillbilly »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Babies biting teats
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 08:32:55 pm »
Big worry is infection, followed by mastitis... but I have put udder cream on in cases like this, possibly better using antiseptic cream though. (I didn't have any, had this problem with one of my 1st kidders early on - and had bloody hands while milking - not nice. But all healed up beautifully - of course with the kid having been taken off pronto.

I can't really suggest what to do though, as with my milkers I never leave kids on beyond a few days, so not really had any problems with teaching onto bottle at that age.

Sorry not much help...

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 09:57:22 pm »
Thanks Anke, would 'human' antiseptic cream do - ie Savlon?

Getting a bit worried about one of the kids, very little all day, (powdered milk+25%goat) going to try him on his mums milk soon now everyone else is sorted.
Could I get the kids to drink from a bowl at this age?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 01:28:44 pm »
Yes Savlon should be fine. Some kids take much better to drinking from a bowl at a few weeks old than from the bottle. Put some honey in to make it sweeter. I have never had success with it, but other people bowl feed their kids all the time - quicker than bottles!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 02:00:32 am »
Thanks
was planning on saying great - kids feeding now - well they did earlier (with honey, in bowl) now they won't touch it again, fight to get away from the bottle, quick look at bowl and walk away, 2 days now they've had very little. Starting to panic now. They have a bowl of feed and I left a bowl of water which they either drank some or managed to tip some out.
I have had them drinking from bowls in the past but this bunch are driving me crazy, so frustrating.
Bonnie is letting me milk her a bit easier, but the little squirts take forever to get anywhere. put savlon on before milking her so I was working it in as I milked her (and no it didn't get in the milk  :) )

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 06:34:08 am »
All I can say is keep at it. My billy kid (now coming up for 2 and well grown) did not drink from the bottle after I brought him home and it was slow dribbling into his mouth only... he ended up in the vets with abomasal bloat at some point and vet rehydrated gave bircarb and I had to take him home after 24 hours with the words... that's all we can do for him now, unless he starts eating he will not make it... We struggled on with him, and he finally started sucking the bottle at the age of over 6 months just before Xmas... he still gets his evening bottle now! He's a big Fella now (and very friendly!)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Babies biting teats- update
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 11:29:36 am »
Hi
Just thought I'd give a quick update as I often wonder how things have turned out for others.
I was so worried at kids getting so thin I started letting 2 go back on their mum, bottle feeding the small one, putting antiseptic cream on Bonnie when they finished.
Had been keeping them in a dog crate in the conservatory so it was funny how they trotted across the yard with me, like big puppies  :) . but little Star was left behind and crying. Then put them all in a pen next to their mum, so now she feeds 2 while I feed Star, when she's had enough of them she nips back in her pen and I shut the door to keep babies out. One side has cleared up the other not looking bad.
All the kids are fine, big and chunky.
Many thanks to Anke for her advice both on and off group, very much appreciated, didn't feel quite so alone and desperate  :thumbsup:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
Re: Babies biting teats - Update
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 01:10:00 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS