Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Falklands wool judging  (Read 2065 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Falklands wool judging
« on: April 17, 2015, 05:41:18 pm »
Tonight (17/04/15) just after Landward on Beeb 2, 8 pm I think, there will be a sheep show from the Falklands, including fleece judging.
Hopefully Rosemary of Falkland Wool be there  :spin: :spin: :spin:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Falklands wool judging
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 09:28:45 am »
I didn't see this post in time, and in any case am usually still out checking lambing fields at 8pm.  Did you see it, FW?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 11:09:46 am »
Yes but it was quite disappointing from a fleece point of view.  Interesting otherwise.  It was more about sheep shearing competitions and rousying.  Did some close-ups of the fleeces and crimp.  Huuuge fleeces, finely crimped, good average staple length.  Also about cruise ships dropping by - aagh, my worst nightmare is to win a cruise to anywhere  :tired:
So you didn't miss much.  :sheep: :sheep:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 11:42:26 am »
Sheep were interesting - looked quite like Romneys.  Harsh terrain and no trees.  Anywhere that has a cafe serving Bakewell Tart and Lemon Drizzle Cake is OK by me!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 02:17:36 pm »
The cakes looked scrummy didn't they  :yum:   Almost worth a visit.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 01:02:37 am »
They are romneys ( kinda) with a Falklands swerve,ive been down there 3 times twice on duty once to place a wreath on my fathers and his teams memorial as he was one of the guys who perished in a helicopter crash from one ship to another in 1982 . Fab programe that brought back some good and sad memories! Id love to live down there but we have other fish to fry ar the mo . Maybe a retirement home !

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 08:13:50 am »
At my spinning group we have a Christmas challenge and it was my responsibility to buy some fleece/fibre for everyone to have a bit of.
At Wonderwool I bought 1500g of Falkland Polwarth tops because I thought it would be something different for them to work with. It's similar to merino apparently and good for spinning and felting which is important as not everyone at the group spins. Everyone will get 100g of tops and they can use some or all of it and can add other fibre too. In addition they have all been given some hand dyed silk cocoons to go with it. So it should be a real challenge.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 11:58:17 am »
I used some Polwarth in my 'Cumbrian Sunset' jumper.  The purpley coloured fibre was Polwarth, dyed by Freyalyn in her 'Goblin King' colourway. 

It was a dream to spin, very fine and easily drafted.  I don't like merino tops, I find it flat and characterless (though very soft) so IMO the Polwarth is much nicer ! 

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS