Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming Geese  (Read 3036 times)

waddy

• Joined May 2012
Worming Geese
« on: April 17, 2015, 05:02:15 pm »
For those of you who have geese free ranging eating mostly grass how do you worm them? I used Flubenvet last time accidently adding the amount for two kilograms instead of two pounds (about double the dose). I had a panic when I realised but there was no ill effect which could be due to them eating grass in addition to the pellets. Is there any other way to worm them than Flubenvet? I don't want to give them anything that would prevent us eating the odd one and when I mentioned Levamisole to the vet he said using this is not possible if we want to eat one.

Helen

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Worming Geese
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 10:06:16 pm »
Panacur is the alternative. You dose directly which they don't like much but it does guarantee they've got the dose. I try and choose a week in mid-winter to dose when it's dry and cold so they'll not be eating anything else but the pellets stay dry. I should worm twice a year but haven't done so far due to the hassle of trying to catch them for the panacur. It's not approved for poultry but our vets will prescribe it as long as we sign a disclaimer saying we realise it's not approved and outlining the withdrawal period for eggs and meat.

H

waddy

• Joined May 2012
Re: Worming Geese
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 01:54:50 pm »
Thank you! I will get on to our vet when they have stopped laying eggs and when the two dominant ganders have stopped trying to sneak up and bite me!

Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS