Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Free Sheep and Poultry Health talks for Smallholders  (Read 2483 times)

CarolineR

• Joined Jan 2012
Free Sheep and Poultry Health talks for Smallholders
« on: April 16, 2015, 02:54:39 pm »
 Hello everyone,

Scotland's Rural College/SAC Consulting would like to announce another free Smallholder evening talk on the way!
Our event is being hosted by the Scottish Smallholders Association and is open to all members and non-members from all over Scotland alike. In addition to the usual talks, passing on knowledge and the opportunity to have a chat and ask questions, you will be able to meet some of the SSA members and find out more about the benefits of being in a Smallholder Association. They do a great newsletter, and there are other benefits related to being in a group with other Smallholders, including bulk buying power etc. Find them at scottishsmallholder.com.

This time the talk will be split – the first half will be on sheep health, covering a few practical topics that smallholders may be likely to see, and the second half will be on backyard poultry health.

Sheep Health and Backyard Poultry Health for smallholders
The Horizon Hotel, Esplanade, Ayr, KA7 1DT.
 Tuesday 28th April 28 at 7:30pm.

More on the way soon - I've got another pig meeting (hopefully June, somewhere in the Central/South Scotland region) and I've got a goat meeting (Cumbernauld area) both on the burner at the moment - no dates or locations nailed down yet, but details will be on the way as soon as we know.

Kind regards,

Caroline
PS as you can see, I've finally changed my profile name - Podanmoo was the name I used many years ago as a new grad vet in practice, I'm thinking I should probably sound more grown up now I've been working for SRUC for a few years...! It's still me though   :)

« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:01:13 pm by CarolineR »

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Re: Free Sheep and Poultry Health talks for Smallholders
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 08:40:23 am »
Would love to attend, only problem is l stay in Caithness ???? Why dont they have meetings in the Highlands ?
Or do they and l havent spotted them ?  :sheep: :chook: :horse:

CarolineR

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 01:56:44 pm »
Hi Kelly,
We sometimes do them in the Highlands, you could contact your local SAC Farn Business office on 01847 892 602 to ask if there are any crofter's courses on the go (I think they are often partially subsidised by the crofter's federation, although, for the full day-courses, I think there is still a charge despite this). They cover most farm species.
We also will do them just about anywhere there is a demand, so if you find you are part of a fairly substantial group of people who request a talk, we can do them on demand as long as it is worth the journey.
Alternatively, I know my colleague Sinclair from the Thurso vet office recently did a backyard poultry talk using my template- I believe it was requested by one of the other local vets. The SAC Consulting Vet office is on 01847 892 602  and should be able to tell you if one of the local SAC Consulting vets will be doing a talk with my template anytime again soon.
We did recently have a pig evening in Nairn, but being in Caithness, that's still fairly far away for you! Do feel free to give either the vets or the farm business consultants a ring to ask about local smallholder or crofter courses, and they will hopefully be able to check for you if there is anything else planned away up there just now.
Hope this helps!
Caroline

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 04:36:24 pm »
Many thanks Caroline l know Sinclair  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS