Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Queen spotting still gets me excited  (Read 2469 times)

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Queen spotting still gets me excited
« on: April 16, 2015, 11:18:31 am »
I did an inspection yesterday afternoon and spotted the Queen in both my hives. They are both quite small in numbers so was easy to find her, but it still makes me excited spotting her (harder to do as the year goes on).

The other thing that I love it watching a new bee hatch out of it's cell  :excited: how they are born with the knowledge of what to do, I will never know.

I still find these amazing creatures so fascinating and looking forward to another year of beekeeping.  :excited:
________
Caroline

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Queen spotting still gets me excited
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 02:14:51 pm »
Managed to get one of mine marked last weekend which was nice, like you say easier at this time of year. Hopefully going to try and split one this weekend all being well.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 04:35:14 pm »
I have always been nervous of marking so never attempted it. Just rely on the presence of eggs/larvae normally. Good luck with your split!
________
Caroline

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 06:56:21 pm »
Absolutely  :excited:
I inspected one hive this week and Her Majesty was calmly strolling along the frame so I decided to take the opportunity to mark her - so plunger cage, primed the uni-pen to ensure it didn't splurge all over her, and it then promptly spurged all over her  :gloomy:
Not too sure if she will survive - got half her abdomen and most of her wings,  :fc:  the workers might clean hr u a bit. My inspection next week will no doubt give the answer

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 07:45:17 pm »
Hope she does survive. Love the photos need to take some of my hives
________
Caroline

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 08:21:54 pm »
I gave up looking for the queens long ago i just look for eggs and healthy brood, if I do spot the queen I will mark her but dont usually go looking for her.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 11:54:48 pm »
That's how I learnt my craft Veg .
Learn what looks common in the hive and concentrate on finding the uncommon as it stands out a mile . 
I had one old boy called Arthur in the Peterborough Bee Keepers Association chase me with a big flaming smoker when I asked him about marking the queens , " Be bloody observant you little sh*t" , was his reply when he stopped running after me .

Rumour  had it that when was a much younger keeper he walloped a guy who was bragging about clipping queens in his hive.  Saying "Now then how did you like your wings being clipped "?
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 08:51:58 am »
In a perfect world with time a plenty I wouldn't clip - but it ain't so I do  :)

Love the pictures Sudanpan - on first view was about to ask why a wax moth was walking across your frames  ;D  hope she's there on your next visit - you'll certainly be able to spot. Hope you have a good season

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS