Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weedkilling in gravel  (Read 12638 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Weedkilling in gravel
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 06:06:15 pm »
Cloddoper, I have just looked it up but don't know how much to buy. Do you dilute it and if so whats the ratio?
thanks
I just bought the smallest pack - 800 mgs for £14 to try it out.  Thought it might say the dilution on the pack?  :fc:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 02:17:48 pm »
Mine has just arrived but nothing to say how to apply it. I have been searching on line and the nearest I can get is 200g to 1 litre of water. Does that sound about right?
Also need to know if the weather needs to be dry when it's applied or any other info that might help.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 10:29:35 pm »
Mine had a leaflet in with it.  I got just over 900mgs and that does about 2 bucketfuls as far as I can gather. So I'll need a helluva lot more for my back yard! And at $£14 a time I think I might just do the driveway, get the fence up, and let the hens do the rest. :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 08:04:09 am »
Annie, I paid £6.95 for a kilo which would work out much better than yours.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 08:09:47 pm »
Where from? 

Ebay - Ammonium Sulphamate - only three listed and smallest was 908 gms at £14.

I did check amazon too, but couldn't find it there.  I've now found the same size pack for £10

This is interesting - explaining about it being banned as a weedkiller - http://allotment-garden.org/garden-diary/1989/ammonium-sulphamate-weed-killer-banned/

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 02:56:40 am »
Annie, You are going to laugh at this. I have bought the wrong thing.
Mine is ammonium sulphate. Good job I haven't put the stuff down as it seems to make things grow.  I could have ended up cultivating my weeds instead of killing them  ;D
Ah well, back to the drawing board

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015, 08:35:10 am »
Turns out my 10 months old loves crawling around on granny's gravel pulling out  all the  little weeds ...

:idea:

For hire?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2015, 10:38:44 am »
Turns out my 10 months old loves crawling around on granny's gravel pulling out  all the  little weeds ...

:idea:

For hire?
Sounds like a plan  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2015, 11:21:16 am »
Annie, You are going to laugh at this. I have bought the wrong thing.
Mine is ammonium sulphate. Good job I haven't put the stuff down as it seems to make things grow.  I could have ended up cultivating my weeds instead of killing them  ;D
Ah well, back to the drawing board
Understandable error   :eyelashes: - the name isn't much different, but I guess many chemicals are like that.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 11:35:06 pm »
Husband has just got his back-pack spraying license which entitles us to buy systemics in bigger quantities (mostly because we have to keep weeds off 2000 baby vines). However, I can no longer control him - keep seeing new patches that are turning yellow including the edges of the lawn where he's tried to clear the brick edges the lazy way. The paths are looking fab though - I just have to make sure he doesn't go too far 'off piste'.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 07:28:58 am »
Hester do you know what he is actually using?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2015, 09:15:46 am »
At this time of year just the standard systemics - I think it's Round-Up but it may be that's just what he calls it (although he has asked me to order some more). I'm not a big fan of using it in general but no problem on paths and gravel and we just can't keep on top of the weeds around the vines by hand. He'll switch later to contact weedkillers for the vineyard once the vines are in-leaf and I think those are the ones that are now harder to get at a garden centre due to concerns about the environmental impact. Hopefully we won't need as much of those anyway because all the rows are looking pretty weed free at the moment but he can continue to use systemics on the paths.

dst015

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Portlethen
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2015, 04:36:59 pm »
Where from? 

Ebay - Ammonium Sulphamate - only three listed and smallest was 908 gms at £14.

I did check amazon too, but couldn't find it there.  I've now found the same size pack for £10

This is interesting - explaining about it being banned as a weedkiller - http://allotment-garden.org/garden-diary/1989/ammonium-sulphamate-weed-killer-banned/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mistral-Ammonium-Sulphamate-1Kg/dp/B004MMOEH2

its £10.99 a kilo here if your still looking

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2015, 09:08:17 pm »
OH has just bought one of these weed burners that runs on paraffin but as he forgot to buy a pump to get the paraffin out of the barrell still don't know if it will work! I can't use weed killer anywhere as my goats go wherever they please and would be most upset if they were stopped.
Anne

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2015, 09:54:22 am »
Sorry for not picking the thread back up I've been in hospitals having major spinal surgery and have had a few problems with the wound becoming seriously infected.. I'm back on my feet and have started Physio in the hydro pool .

I do have a historic usage and dose sheet for your personal research quest that I'm not allowed to publish on here.
 Drop me a PM telling me sulphamate & I'll sort you something out .

The name is in several forms ie Ammonium  Sulphamate or Sulphamet 

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS