Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feed mixing advice needed  (Read 1850 times)

Hannes

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • Loch Arthur and their animals
    • Loch Arthur Farms
Feed mixing advice needed
« on: April 15, 2015, 09:08:20 pm »
Hello all of You,
I have some questions re feed ration mixing, what would be the best mix etc.

Up to recently we used to keep pigs to feed the whey to from our creamery, mixed with own grown oats and wheat bran from the Little Watermill and some seaweed meal. All ages of pigs love it and do well on it, the occasional loaf of bread ( from our bakery) or piece of cheese was very wlecome, but not regularly seen.

But now it looks like we lose the bran supply, which has been up to a third of the rations with the oats.

The growers and finishers already get Organic Sow and Weaner nuts 16%, as that is easier to get in the field instead of carting whey tanks in and out 3 times a week. (Mud, glorious Mud...)

But the sows, boar and litters between farrowing and weaning/turning out still get the mix with whey, as they are all indoors or next to the road.

My question is, if there are any feed experts out there, how to best mix a good and healthy ration for them with the given ingredients: own bruised oats, S+W nuts 16%, whey, seaweed meal.
Being organic does not make it easier to just get a simple missing ingredient, up to now the bran was a very welcome and cheap filler.
All of my piggies are GOS, live on straw, mostly outside ( farrowing inside though) and have plenty of room and mud to roam around.
Silage and  hay are available, but they have never been too interested in that.

Thnak you all,
hannes :wave:

Hannes

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • Loch Arthur and their animals
    • Loch Arthur Farms
Re: Feed mixing advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 10:27:00 pm »
bump
 :wave:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Feed mixing advice needed
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 09:22:34 am »
Are you a member of the Gloucestershire Old Spots Pig Breeders' Club?  If so I suggest positing a question o the forum as there are some hugely experienced breeders who may be able to advise.  I  feed mine16% sow & weaner nuts, with a scoop of soaked, milled mixed wheat, oats and barley for senior pigs that aren't lactating, and as much vegetable garden and orchard surplus as I can get my hands on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS