Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: agricultural land - can it be used for horticulture?  (Read 11117 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
agricultural land - can it be used for horticulture?
« on: April 15, 2015, 09:49:23 am »
I'm not sure where on the forum to ask this, I hope I'm not in the wrong section.

We'd like to use some of our land to grow flowers or herbs, possibly just half an acre to start and see how it goes. I just want to be sure that we won't be in trouble for doing that. Does horticulture count as an acceptable use of agricultural land? Could we put a polytunnel if we wanted to? Or would we need to approach the local planners?
Thanks very much
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: agricultural land - can it be used for horticulture?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 07:03:26 pm »
I'm not an expert, but I believe agricultural land needs no change of use for horticultural use.

Poly tunnels are an odd one , it depends on their use....and I think also it may vary around the country.

One piece of advice I strongly urge you to take....do not speak to your local planners about what you want...they will tell you what suits them and what nets them the most money...you also warn them of what you really want.  I urge you to employ a planning consultant...these people are experts in what they do and will guide you through the correct route to achieve your ends.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 12:41:59 pm »
I was also wondered this a few months ago. I have taken the approach that we will do slow changes and see if anyone questions it.

We have just put up a greenhouse on ours.
________
Caroline

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 02:34:53 pm »
Thanks stufe35, will bear in mind what you say!
Caroline1, I think we'll do the same, start with a small amount of planting on a discreet area and see how we get on!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 12:25:45 am »
Planting on a field scale is one thing, and would be agriculture, I guess.  Turning agricultural land into a vegetable garden would surely require change of use at the very least.

The 'suck it and see' approach is risky - you could invest time and money and then have to rip it all up and make good.

Personally I would make a telephone enquiry of my local planning office.  Or, if you don't want to contact them, your local planning agent.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 04:12:45 am »
I've written here before about my experience with the local planning officers. Initially it was an enquiry because i wanted to erect a couple of sheds as a workshop and an office and find out what I could or could not do with the land. After several email comunications one of the officers made a visit and we had a long and fruitful chat.
According to locals this officer had a reputation for being difficult but we got on well and he made the interesting point that he'd far rather have folk ask him about what may or may not fit with the local plan than submit plans. indeed he volunteered the statement that that is his job and why employ a consultant when all you have to do is ask....
Most useful for me was that he told me that my predecessor had illegally extended their curtilage but the maturity of their plantings was such that it was obviously old enough to now be grandfathered as garden instead of part of the agricutural land with all the allowances for putting up garden sheds, polytunnels or whatever of 50% of a garden - and it's now a 3 acre garden insteand of part of my fields.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS