Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thinking about pigs..is there a 'everything you need to know' thread??  (Read 6799 times)

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
Iv heard that pigs are easy-ish to keep. We have approx 5 acres of woodland (which will take a while to fence properly) but its not being used for anything, other than wood for the fire. So we had wondered about getting a couple of weaner piglets to eventually use for meat.
We're doing the same with our Jacob sheep, but its a slow process (we've had 1 season, producing 3 lambs..all of which are named and staying) so it'll be about 2 years before we have anymore meat in the freezer from our sheep.

I was wondering if theres any threads on here that sums up everything I need to know about keeping pigs for slaughter. Which are the best/ easiest breeds? Which fencing to use? boars/ sows? what to feed/ how much to feed? etc etc

Thank-you for any help :)
Living the 'Good Life' in our little Chapel in the rural welsh countryside.
Proud owner of 3 Border Collies, Giant Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chickens, Runner Ducks, 3 'pet sheep' &  Jacob Sheep.
Loving life :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
If you click on the Livestock button and then Pigs in the bar above, you'll find some useful information.  :pig:

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
As Rosemary posted, there are lots of useful tips on the forum, lots of people will give you advice, I suggest you get a copy of the Pig Manual by Liz Shankland its very comprehensive. Hope this helps.

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
Thank-you :)
Proud owner of 3 Border Collies, Giant Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chickens, Runner Ducks, 3 'pet sheep' &  Jacob Sheep.

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
Hi Kate  :wave:

Where in Powys are you? Asking because there are quite a few of us on the forum with pigs in various parts of Wales. I'm in Abergavenny, so may be a bit far away but you're welcome to come and see my pig set up and chat after you've read up and have questions. I've been keeping small numbers of pigs for a couple of years. Lots of more experienced pig keepers on here too. There are also some good one day courses you can go on to get loads of information in a concentrated way.
Martha
 :pig: :pig:

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
I am on my first pigs and found the Haynes pig manual really useful and easy to read. We have had saddlebacks and found them really good and rewarding. Just ordered a new chest freezer as next week is their time. Planning to try a different breed next to see the differences
________
Caroline

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
and you could buy our book !

•Creating the environment – fencing, water, food, wallows, shade, arks
• Buying weaners – pedigree or crossbred; buying for meat or breeding
• Feed – what you can feed, how much and when, artificial feed vs natural
• Regulations – a comprehensive guide to complying with the rules !
• When will your pigs be ready– estimating weight, time of year and impact on pig.
• Slaughter – planning ahead, transporting, who does what between abattoir & butcher
• Finding an abattoir, what to ask and what to do when you go there
• Finding a good butcher – and what they and you need to talk about
• What you get from a pig – examples and photos of what cuts you get and how much
• Breeding – creating your breeding herd, how many, which breeds
• What about a boar : Boar Hire or buying boars or AI; pedigree stock
• The birth process – what happens and what do you need to do
• Weaning piglets – when to wean, and how
• Selling weaners – advertising, what to do when people visit.
• Pig Health – looking after your pigs, and knowing when and when not to call the vet
• Pedigree pigs – registering and marking

All for £15 plus £2.50 p&p in UK. Please email us for international P&P rates, which are charged at cost.

http://www.oaklandspigs.co.uk/perfect-pigs-book/

or come on a course, where you will get hands on and see different set-ups from field to woodland, and pigs of all ages and many breeds !

http://www.oaklandspigs.co.uk/courses/

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
Can recommend oaklands pigs book !

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Thanks Paulie !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

RobJJ

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Thinking about pigs..is there a 'everything you need to know' thread??
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 07:35:26 pm »
Just been on the course, had a fantastic day, loads of info and able to answer all and any questions, no matter how strange or simple  ;)

Well recommended and really good book

Rob

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Hey thanks Rob, really glad you like the day !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
The difficult bit is getting your pigs to read the book!  ;)

Tinleypig

• Joined Mar 2015
Another rec. for Oaklands pigs book. Much better than the haynes manual. (which I bought before going on course and is now redundant)  :)

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
Thank-you everyone very much.
Iv been reading through the pages on here and feel more confident about things.
The Oakland course is very interesting, I will have to try and convince hubby to go on a day course with me when we have decided if/ when we may have some weaners!

There will be lots more questions from me, Im afraid :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS