Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly after kidding  (Read 1390 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
Poorly after kidding
« on: April 14, 2015, 05:08:44 pm »
Hi I am quite worried as Anny a 5 year old boer gave birth to twins on Saturday lunch time easily and unaided and has been absolutely fine until Monday when appeared depressed, off her food, lying down all the time and when she did stand was very stiff and tottery.

The vet came to help with a kidding and I asked him to look at her.  He said her temp was 105 and she was poorly.  Gave her 3 days of pen/strep and metacam and glucose to give her.  I have let her out of the nursing pen but she chooses to lie down and won't go outside.

I periodically get her up to move her around a bit but she is very sore on her feet which appear a little warm.  Won't eat properly, a little hay, a little bit of willow, brambles and today quite liked 2 weetabix dry.

What do you think is wrong with her.  I wondered if it is laminitis?  Should I get the vet out again or try the homeopathic vet.  Is it some deficiency with the kids nursing?

I hate it when they are unwell it is so worrying.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Poorly after kidding
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 07:00:55 pm »
I think you are right laminitis  I had one who did the same vet said an infection after kidding maybe caused by small amount of retained placenta which often presents itself as laminitis in goats.( although too much concentrates can cause it as well and some goats are prone to it. )Prescribed a course of pen and step and metacam for a week, she was back to normal the following week although took a lot longer to regain the weight she lost in that few days. finish the course your vet gave you keep doing what you are doing -trying different things for her to eat hay leaves etc. don't give concentrates yet. If hasn't improved after the first course speak to your vet.
Good luck hope she gets better soon.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS