Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: MARKING HATCHING CHICKS IN THE INCUBATOR  (Read 2763 times)

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
MARKING HATCHING CHICKS IN THE INCUBATOR
« on: April 12, 2015, 08:06:41 pm »
Has anyone got any advice please? Might be a stupid question though. Ive decided to scale up my poultry operation so I've purchased a 77 egg incubator. However, I've got 4 different breeding flocks and 2 different bloodlines so ideally I would like to know which chicks have come from where. Eggs will be numbered but what is the best way to identify the chicks once they have hatched?

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: MARKING HATCHING CHICKS IN THE INCUBATOR
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 09:17:15 pm »
If you are certain you will be able to change them at regular intervals to stop them binding as the legs grow then zip ties first followed by numbered coloured leg bands or wing padlocks.  Both are quite expensive but can be reused if suitable disinfected.   If you give me some time I might remember the suppliers I used.

When eggs are coming up to hatch segregate them in little zip top laundry bags with a label attached
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 07:26:51 am »
In the incubator I've used a box icecream tub or similar, cut out bottom and you have plastic walls for  eggs/chicks of one blood line. Marker pen in different colours or food dye works fine for a week or so, then you have to top up.
If you have time, Mark each set. Eg. Mark one set with red and another with green or blue - it's easier to tell apart a faded red and a faded blue than a faded red and a non marked.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 05:10:59 pm »
I use cable ties diff colours and diff legs   

silkiechick

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 09:11:15 pm »
stock marker spray or sharpie marker pen under the wing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 11:58:15 am »
I run two different breeding groups of my main breeds and alternate hatching batches.  That way they're separated by age and I can select and band later.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS