Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from a tiny allotment in Cornwall  (Read 1831 times)

tinyallotment

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Cornwall
  • Do it yourself
    • Tinyallotment
Hello from a tiny allotment in Cornwall
« on: April 09, 2015, 01:16:46 pm »
Hi All

My name is Paul and i live in a Vintage Airstream in Cornwall with mu beautiful wife Jules and three dogs.

We don't have land at the moment (we are of no fixed abode) but we do have an allotment and we try and grow as much as we can with what we have.

Although I have not yet done a PDC I am very interested in the Permaculture of things and I try to apply permaculture principles to all aspects of our life.

We look after a flock of 40 chickens but we don't have any other animals at the moment. My wife has only recently stopped being a vegetarian after 40 years so one step at a time eh. I would like to breed rabbits for meat later but that might take some convincing.

We are in the process of building a geodesic dome greenhouse for the allotment. This will house an aquaponics system to provide fish and vegetables for the table.

Ultimately we want to settle down and buy a parcel of land and build a low impact dwelling and live out our life in peace and quiet. I doubt this will be in the UK unless we suddenly come into a lot of money.

My philosophy in life is "Do it yourself" by which I mean if you want something done don't wait for others to do it or moan that something isn't getting done. Get off your ass and do it yourself.

Other things I am into are cycling, real ale, playing the ukulele and sax, building projects, electronics, ham radio and reading anything and everything about building a low impact, self reliant life.

paul

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Hello from a tiny allotment in Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 09:33:01 pm »
 :wave: from Shropshire.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 09:36:09 pm »
 :wave: from Carnoustie. You could try parts of Scotland  :)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 10:18:34 pm »
Hello from a Cornish maid living in Devon :wave: My seven year old grand-daughter plays the yukelele!

tinyallotment

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Cornwall
  • Do it yourself
    • Tinyallotment
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 08:32:50 am »
Many thanks for the warm welcome

I do love Scotland and it may be a possibility however Jules gets depressed with the weather in Cornwall so I can imagine here being suicidal in the highlands. I would love to live on one of the islands or some other remote outpost.

I would love to live out my days in Cornwall. i am a very proud Cornishman but unfortunately land prices are astronomical and you can never get far enough away from prying eyes to do anything without permission.

We are looking at Central Portugal or maybe Catalonia. Cheap land prices, remoteness, long growing season etc. I will have to start brewing my own real ale though.

paul

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS