Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new born boers  (Read 2501 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
new born boers
« on: April 09, 2015, 08:08:01 am »
Hi my 5 year old boer had a long drawn out labour yesterday and resulted in one normal female first in a bag which I had to pull off, then another couple of hours where she was alternating between eating and pushing a little.  I tried to feel inside but could just feel another bag which I thought was the head again but after no progression got the vet to come out.  It was bottom first with the legs folded back so never would have come out and died then another, a boy came out normally at about 9 pm.  I made sure both had fed from mum and checked through the night but I am abit worried about the last one as although he is strong at sucking can't seem to stand yet this morning.  He is all floppy and legs go everywhere.  I am hoping that with me helping him to feed he will get stronger.  Do you think that he will?  There doesn't appear to be any pain when I move the legs.

I suppose I am also just annoyed with myself that I still can't distinguish problems when kidding.  It is such a shame that they die before any life is had.

Only another 3 to go then I can relax and sleep!!  Each year I always forget how stressful the whole experience is.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: new born boers
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 09:49:41 am »
Themost important thing is that can he eat off mum independently enough to sustain himself?  In my experience they often can be floppy on the legs for a few days - the ligaments sometimes need time to strengthen up. I would ensure he is getting enough milk - bottle feed if necessary and just keep an eye on him. As long as you are happy he is feeding well and got enough colostrum then should be fine

Bekka

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 10:09:52 am »
HI,
Sounds very similar to mine - apart from the fact that after 12 hours, the mother totally rejected him. He was much weaker (couldn't stand) and quieter than the first out and wasn't able to drink. I have been bottle feeding him since.
Good luck!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 04:18:10 pm »
If she had triplets then is quite likely that they were all a bit squashed up inside. As long as you can help him t feed every few hours and s/he gets a good suckle and the dam is not objecting to the kid, then just keep watching for a few days.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 09:40:57 pm »
 :fc:  They improve. I had lamb triplets born like that, first had legs folded forward and was about 10 hours before I eventually pulled her out. Couldn't stand but I massaged her legs, wrapped in dog blanket and put under heat lamp. Other two came out ok but mum rejected weak one. All survived.

I think goats might not be as robust but hopefully your perseverance will pay off.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 09:20:24 am »
I, too always forget the stress of lambing, Maddy. Even after 50 odd years I get the "ab-dabs" a few weeks beforehand. They disappear as soon as it's over ::) To cheer up a ewe or nanny I have found a few ivy leaves and bramble shoots go down well and seem to act as a tonic for her.

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 10:44:24 am »
Update on mum and 2 kids.  The boy is now up and about and is fine thanks.  I have a problem as I need to band him but not sure if testicles are in the sac as the sac feels like its got something flatish in both.  I have always felt little balls in both before? 

Mum had to have vet for a/b etc etc but has now picked up.  She wouldn't eat anything so spent loads of time picking little bramble shoots and giving her little and often which she loved.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS