Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ITCHY HIGHLAND  (Read 2603 times)

larrylamb

• Joined Feb 2014
ITCHY HIGHLAND
« on: April 08, 2015, 09:24:17 pm »
Can someone help me i have a highland cow about 7 year old she is in calf some time this month she had been on rough grazing now we have her back she is itchy she keep scratching her self round her neck and kicking her underside with a rear leg i have put pouron on sunday but no change but the pouron say not for cows in calf what can i use i have checked her hair but cant see anything mind i do get itchy after i have touched her.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: ITCHY HIGHLAND
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 09:37:35 pm »
A quick call to your vet may be the best way to gt the right answer

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 12:57:51 pm »
 Sounds  like ticks since she was on rough grazing , what pour on did you use ??         

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 09:26:29 pm »
I use Ivomec (or generic brand) on mine when they start scratching and it always sorts mine. But of course it depends what the problem is. I think mine get mites from the hay/straw in winter. But they've never had ticks. It probably doesn't work instantly all over, as it'll take time to spread.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Judey

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 08:21:29 am »
This time of year the lice are getting going. I'd suspect that, especially if you itch after handling the cattle. If you can get louse powder and try sprinkling some of that on them. The other thing is that just now, everybody is moulting and that can make them scratch and rub a bit more than usual.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 11:45:42 pm »
coopers spot on or butox swish will kill lice & ticks& biting flies. Which product did you use? The reason not to use on in calf cows is just to do with milk withdrawal periods so they can all be used anytime in beef cows.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS