Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Starting with cattle  (Read 10225 times)

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
Re: Starting with cattle
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 07:46:52 pm »
My (naive) reasons for starting with cattle are:
I believe that certaiin breeds are hardy enough to stay out all winter and that they can feed on grass the whole year round. (I do understand they need some shelter, such as an open shed, and some winter feed, such as silage bails).
I keep pigs and find that I am buying in too much bag-food and this seems wasteful, considering I have land to spare. If there were true grass-feeding pigs, I might not bother with cattle.
 In my innocence, I thougt that smaller cattle would be easier than large beasts. I am still open to persuasion.
 My plan is to get two beasts in the spring, rear them and take them to slaugher in two years. If this is the beginning of something better, I will be delighted. I will continue with the pigs and the hens in any case.
Finally may I thank all the posters here who give me so much food for thought - you couldn't get such sound advice from a trailer-load of agricultural advisers.

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 09:48:10 pm »
we have northern dairy shorthorns and traditional herefords. the herefords are by far the easiest cattle i have ever known, they are so laid back. NDS are fine can and once i have a halter on them i can do just about anything with them,
We dont have a crush, once the cows are haltered and tied up they can be worked with easily. as long as cattle are handled they will take most things in their stride. Our vet hates dexters and has begged us not to get any!!! i keep telling him i have seen some cheep, he treatens to knock us off his list if we do ;D
We have moors not far from us owned by english nature, they bought 4 dexters, the local vet has darted 2, they cant get close enough to the last two to dart them, they went ferral in less than 6 months.

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 06:50:27 pm »
I started with Highlands because they can live out all year round. They have few problems and calve easy. They are easy to handle - like everything else you can have good and bad. As long as you spend some time with them they will get use to you being around and learn to trust you. Favorite food is good for getting them to do what you want but don't let them get too pushy. A tap with a small stick will teach them some manners and respect the boss!
Karen

Di

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 08:12:37 pm »
Hey my Dexters are wonderful!!!  However i do walk among them every day and talk to them and give them a scratch!  The live out all year, some hay in the winter when really bad weather, so far have calved easily.

I think you can get good and bad in all breeds, sometimes its just the luck of the draw!

Di

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2009, 08:20:18 pm »
Hi di
thats the answer, if you spend time with any cattle they remain tame, people just throw them out and wonder why they cant get near them come winter!!

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 04:37:34 pm »
What sort of fortifications do I need for these beasts?
At the moment, I have old dry stone walls, about a meter high and was thinking of an electric fence inside this. Should I get to work on something stronger?
Regards,
Muc

Dry stone wall with electric round the edge should be fine. As said elsewhere dont buy something off a moor that has never seen anyone. Buy something that has been well handled. Dexters can be a handful as can Highlands and Galloways. A nice beef cross like the blue or shorthorn would be my choice.Avoid limousin if your new to the game and keep in touch with them as they soon turn nervy if the only time you handle them is to jab them or chase them about.
One other tip get a decent handling system with crush nothing annoys a vet more than to see his 10.00oclock appointment charging away across the field. Try to borrow or share something.
 If you have any question about the beaurocracy(spelling?) call your local Animal Health office they are very helpful.

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 09:59:20 am »
Did anyone see the Channel 4 programme on Thursday night about the couple starting a farm? The presenter/adviser persuaded them to get Dexters as he said they would be the easiest for a beginner. I can't wait to see the next episode.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 10:59:20 am »
STOP knocking Dexters! They are a wonderful breed, producing the highest quality meat and milk and if handled regularly are no more problem than any other animal...like most situations, its the actions and attitudes of the 'keeper' that determines the responses of the animals they take 'care' of.

I have been breeding them for over six years now and wouldn't be without them...magnificent creatures.

Farmer,  :farmer:

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 10:57:54 am »
I would happily try Dexters if I could get my hands on a couple.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2010, 11:09:22 am »
Does anyone know about milking highlands? Quite a few people have them around here but I've never heard of anyone milking one?    :)
kirsty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS