Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coursera chicken course has started!  (Read 7335 times)

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: Coursera chicken course has started!
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 01:43:06 pm »
I am still wending my way through, but am a week behind at the moment. I am really enjoying it, and have picked up some useful information. We are set for a wet weekend so I shall aim to get caught up over the next few days. Wonderwool took all my attention last weekend!

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 06:27:35 pm »
Ditto Louise, Im also a week behind now. No idea how that happened
Is it time to retire yet?

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 01:32:38 am »
I'm still here too!

Been away so I'm also behind  ::)

Going to catch up this week. I'm really enjoying it.

I'll be looking for more animal/smallholding related courses when this one's done, so if you spot any do please point them out  ;D
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 11:52:37 am »
I've started on week 5.  I am truly shocked about the housing which qualifies as 'Free Range'.  Wait until you get to that bit - I will be most interested in other's opinions.  All I can say is that now I fully understand why our genuinely free range eggs are so popular  :chook: :chook: :chook:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 11:55:12 am »
I am soooo far behind

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 01:21:05 pm »
I had a bit of a marathon session on Sunday whilst OH was out on his bike and finished the course. I too was  a little taken aback by the housing, and interested in the view put forward by the vet that commercial free range is possibly not the best in terms of welfare. I keep reminding my hens that they live a carefree and pampered life!

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2015, 08:41:25 pm »
Deadline for the work is tomorrow morning for anyone not finished yet.

I've watched the vid's and read most of the recommended reading and then completed all the quizzes.

Are the quizzes the only marked worked? I just want to check I haven't missed anything!

Is there anything I have to do to submit them or are they just automatically marked when finished?

I didn't really like week 5. Being confronted with the reality of how most chickens, especially egg laying chickens live wasn't nice.

I have really enjoyed my first foray into learning for many years though and I'm on the look out for more courses.

:thumbsup:

Do I remember another couple of free online course websites mentioned?
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2015, 10:09:32 pm »
The best one is Futurelearn.  I've done quite a number of their MOOCS, on all sorts of interesting subjects.  I have 4 more lined up for this summer: Shipwrecks; Monitoring climate from space; Soils; and Nutrition and wellbeing.  I'm looking forward to them all.

I thought the Poultry course came to a rather abrupt end, on a rather unpleasant note.

The score for each quiz appears at the top of the page after you've submitted it, so you know your score straight away. If you didn't do as well as you wish, you can try again - 3 efforts altogether.   I don't know how you get your certificate, although I think you had to request it at the start.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2015, 08:11:46 am »
I agree Fleecewife. it was as though they got fed up of it near the end!
I also had no idea about commercial free-range housing. I thought it was supposed to be far far better than it is. Just goes to show how little we know whats going on. At least all our hens have genuinely good lives....even though my Black Rocks will be Coq au Vin if they dig any more of OHs veg up!
Is it time to retire yet?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS