Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coursera chicken course has started!  (Read 7328 times)

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
Coursera chicken course has started!
« on: April 03, 2015, 06:35:48 pm »
So it begins!

It's my first course and I'm really looking forward to it.

Took me a little while to get to grips with the layout and where everything was but I really enjoyed all the vids.

I'll go through them all again in a day or two before I attempt the quiz.

How many of you are doing it too?

What did you all think of it?

:)
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Coursera chicken course has started!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 11:09:33 pm »
I'm doing it too.

Does that mean you've finished all the work for the first week Bex?  I haven't started yet !!

I made the mistake of subscribing to the introductions thread, in my innocence.  Nearly a hundred emails in my inbox later I think I've unsubscribed again  :relief:    Having rural broadband, as opposed to urban broadband, makes getting so many incoming mails a disaster.
Still, just a glitch.

I'm really looking forward to doing the course.  It seems a bit more formal than some of the MOOCs I've done, but my chickens and I are ready for the challenge  :chook:  Somewhere around 9,000 students doing it.
It's not too late to join, for anyone who meant to but forgot earlier.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 11:44:20 pm »

Does that mean you've finished all the work for the first week Bex?  I haven't started yet !!

Oooh, I don't think so!

I've watched all the video lectures (they're only a minute or so each) and I'll watch them over again a few times yet. There's also some reading recommendations I'll look at (if I can remember where I saw them!)

As far as I can see, once you've seen and read it all then you do the quiz. You get three tries and they take the best result of that three each week for your overall assessment mark. Does that sound right?

Like I said, this is my first course so I'm struggling a little with the layout of the site and where exactly everything is but I think I'm getting it.

Nearly a hundred emails in my inbox later I think I've unsubscribed again  :relief: 

Ha! Yeah, I took one look at that and thought 'no way'! I'm on rural broadband and an incredibly old computer, I think it would have had a fit with all those emails!

It'll be interesting to see how everyone here likes it. I've been out of education for 12 or so years and really looking forward to doing this course. I'm watching for a free space on the horse course too :D

:excited: :chook: :excited:
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 12:44:40 am »
I've now watched all the videos, done the quiz (got one question wrong, not because I didn't know the answer but because I didn't read the question  ::) ) and started the Smithsonian article.  I eventually found that bit because I thought there must be more to the course than vids.
Now to find where to discuss the week......

It looks like fun, but not as formal and heavy as I had expected.

I know there were several other TASers doing the course, so looking forward to hearing what they think too.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 11:54:04 am »
I'm doing it too  :excited:
Just finished watching the clips and the first quiz too  8)
I like the extra resources provided, hope I get around to read as much of that as I can.

I've previously done one other course on here (Equine Nutrition), which had rather long clips, and I have to say I find the short ones here much easier to work with. They load quicker, and it's easy to go back and watch again just the bits you think you need a repeat on.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 12:20:59 pm »
I am about to start.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 05:12:58 am »
I have just done the first week, where are the sdditional reading materials?

i like that the videos are so short.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 07:42:22 am »
I also completed the first week yesterday. It is really interesting but I felt a bit superficial. I have read the additional articles - they added a bit extra to the learning experience. I am looking forward to see how it progresses.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 09:24:30 am »
I have just done the first week, where are the sdditional reading materials?

i like that the videos are so short.

On the left, there is a list: week 1, week 2 etc.  If you go there (slow to upload) you'll see a couple of links to extra reading.  One is quite long and is a link to a Smithsonian semi-humorous article.
If there are more extras then I don't know where they are.

I agree Louise that it seems superficial so far.  After a big build-up, the Google Hangout didn't work, which I found quite funny.  On other courses I've done they haven't gone smoothly either  :D

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 05:20:08 pm »
i really like coursera, unfortunately don't have enough internet access for this just now but perhaps I could catch up with it if possible.
it might not be superficial to beginner chickeners!

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 04:33:10 pm »
Done the first week now and aced the quiz (second time as I pressed a wrong button first time round!  ::) )

FYI some of the questions were different the second time I took it, so if you found yourself wanting more quiz questions you could do the quiz all three times (they take the highest score anyway, so as long as you get them all right once you don't risk your score)

Off to check out week two now.

;D

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 06:59:20 pm »
Ive done week 2 and for the first time in my life ended up with the very impressive score of 19 out of 17!  :excited:

( Sadly its a computer glitch!!)

As a novice chook keeper Im finding it very interestng
Is it time to retire yet?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 11:23:28 pm »
Just finished week 3 and I'm finding the course increasingly interesting.

The bit about males fighting over dominance has been useful.  Having a cockerel and an older cock, there has been some fighting between my males as the younger one has matured.  Previously I have intervened to prevent damage to the birds.  The course showed though that one would back down, maybe run away and hide.  He would also stop crowing.  Once that new order has been established, the fighting stops or diminishes.
So last time there was a bust-up I let them get on with it, one chased the other all around the orchard, as in the video clip, then the cock submitted, stopped fighting and ran away.
Interestingly, the young cockerel now has all the hens in his harem, and the old boy is on his own.  He spends his days sunbatheing with the sheep, or foraging amongst them.  He spends the night in a separate house with some 12 week old pullets which are not going out much yet.

I have found the bits about aberrant behaviour interesting too, especially the fact that my free range hens show none of the problem behaviours at all  :thumbsup:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 11:25:04 am »

Starting the final week.  All about commercial production and chicken death, so it won't be my favourite week.

Is anyone else still with us?   :chook: :chook: :chook:

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 11:43:10 am »
I'm still on it too  :chook:
Finding some bits very interesting, and other bits I'm already familiar with, but all in all I'm finding it very well done.
Having trouble finding regular time for it - had to catch up on 2 whole weeks last weekend!
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS