Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First timer ewes anxious  (Read 2447 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
First timer ewes anxious
« on: April 01, 2015, 02:05:08 pm »
Hi my two first timer ewes have both given birth normally but a week later the mums are shouting and hollering much of the day.  Their lambs are not bothered and are usually playing, sleeping or sunbathing.  I keep thinking they have lost their lambs but if I put the lambs to the mums it doesn't usually stop them.  They just seem a bit anxious.  I shut them all in at night and when I check last thing all is quiet and peaceful.  Any idea why all the noise?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: First timer ewes anxious
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 02:23:56 pm »
Are the mums hungry?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 03:11:27 pm »
We have a dawn chorus with our lot! Once they get into the routine of nuts, they know, try them with a little dinner and see if that stops the hollering.   Good that they are great first time mums, some are a right nightmare and take a little while to bond, with the help of me or baz as a clamp initially. 

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 03:55:34 pm »
Some breeds with a lot of fleece on their faces struggle to see their kids, and shout to get them to come back. You don't say what breed you have.
When I had my Bowmonts they were constantly standing in the middle of the field shouting... some clipping of their faces helped (but not a lot...)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 04:18:28 pm »
Mine are doing the same. I put it down to hunger/wanting food, they mainly do it when anyone ventures out of the house! They did quite a bit of charging about when it was windy. But also settled in between.
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 05:20:55 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  They are Ryelands so have alot of fleece around their face and yes they could be hungry.  I have just been feeding them a small handful of nuts between 5 of them.

Will try clipping around the eyes and feeding more.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 05:31:53 pm »
I could feed ours til the cows come home and theyed still mug me, oh the joys of bucket led sheep  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS