Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs are here  (Read 7434 times)

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
Pigs are here
« on: March 31, 2015, 11:16:03 pm »
Well the weaners have arrived. We have a cph number? So what do we need to do now. Paper work wise. We gave the numbers to the guy we got them off for his records. But a friend went to pick them up for us and he never got any paper to bring back. The Transport form? Does this matter. We have also rung and got the phone Number for where to get the herd number. Do we need this. Once we have all these sorted am sure there will be more questions to ask. But at the moment they seem quite happy. Coming out of their ark for the feed. Any other advice would be great but its these numbers we cant get our heads round. Ultimately they will just be for us. If it helps they're a Mangalitza cross.
I am going to live the dream

HappyHippy

Re: Pigs are here
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 11:34:31 pm »
Normally you get a paper copy of the movement licence (you need to keep it for inspection) or you log in to the ScotEID website - but you need your CPH and your herd number to do this.
I'd probably give the breeder a call to find out if they've completed the movement and then call ScotEID to sort it out (asap!).
You'll need to have your herd mark on the pigs (usually in the form of ear tags) if they move off to slaughter etc.
HTH

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 11:56:35 pm »
Will ring them first thing thanks

HenryVigne

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Alves, near Elgin, Moray, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 12:18:26 pm »
Hi there in Sutherland form Moray!

Hope the weaners go well, were waiting on the delivery of three weaners in about 10 days, they're coming down to us from near Thurso, so will no doubt enjoy the delights of the Moray coast!! Interested to hear about your Mangaliza cross, what are they crossed with? I am wondering if you got them from the same source as mine, Gary Imlach? Ours are GOS/Duroc x Large white - I think! Will be interested to hear how you get on with them.

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 03:11:34 pm »
These piglet's are from by Aberdeen. One of the locals brothers?. Not sure what there crossed with. Rung up this morning and sorted the forms out. They're also sending us an info pack so will let you know whats in it. We are also having some posters made for the rooms we let out. Telling people not to feed them.!!!
On another note seen on here people feed pigs with Beer? Do you mix it in with their feed or water. It would not be much just whats in the drip trays from the bar each day.

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 03:20:31 pm »
Hi Bucketman - not sure you can use the beer from drip trays because of the very strict regulations around feeding pigs but I know this has been asked before and someone will be along to clarify that. I do use a proportion of spent malt and barley grains direct from a local brewery which I am allowed to do but appreciate that's different to what you're asking about.

I have kept Mangalitza crosses before - crossed with Saddlebacks. They were lovely pigs - sort of furry multi-coloured saddlebacks. But in my experience you do need to be careful about the amount of time you keep them for and the amount you feed them. They will eat and eat and eat and a couple of mine got a wee bit fat. Although the upside of this was an expert curing friend used the back fat for making lardo which ended up selling for a good price!

Martha R

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 04:21:35 pm »

But in my experience you do need to be careful about the amount of time you keep them for and the amount you feed them. They will eat and eat and eat and a couple of mine got a wee bit fat. Although the upside of this was an expert curing friend used the back fat for making lardo which ended up selling for a good price!

Martha R

How long do you mean the amount of time you keep I was thinking you got them now and sent them away may be November?

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 10:26:44 pm »
Hi again -
I should start by saying I am a relative newcomer to this - have finished around 15 pigs of different breeds in the last two years so there are others on here who have bags more experience than me, But my experience was I took the first two Mangalitza crosses when they were 7.5 months old and they were 93kg and 85kg and just about right for what I wanted although the joints were still big. I took another couple to 9 months and they were much too big and fat. The meat was wonderful but had to do a lot of adapting to get the best use from the meat. So if I was doing it again with that particular cross I would feed them less and take them at 7 months and not beyond that. Assuming your weaners are 8 weeks or so now, then keeping them to November would mean they were 10 months old before they go off. Of course what they're crossed with makes a difference - if they're crossed with a commercial breed like Pietrain this will reduce the fat they put on but even so I wouldn't take them beyond 7 months unless you want to use them for something very specific. Am sure others will help with their experiences too.
Martha R

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 02:37:04 pm »
Well there looking good now. We sort of put them in a pen for the first week about 20x20mtr. Now they know there way back to there house will open the whole field to them this would be about about 100x100mtr. Does this sound to big. There are 6 of them live here. Also gettin them to eat out my hand so I can get close to them to give them the once over is this good or bad?

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 09:05:11 pm »
They are lovely looking pigs. I am on my first pigs and am loving the experience. Mine are 22 wks old and I am not putting my hands anywhere near their mouths, they already try to bite shoes and legs   :o they do love a good head rub between their eyes and behind their ears. I have got them used to that so I can touch them and measure them when I need to
________
Caroline

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 09:19:09 pm »
They are proper sweeties! Definite Mangalitza coat and looks to some of them! Looks like a great set up bucketman. Some people prefer to have one large area in which they can roam and others do something more akin to strip grazing with electric fencing where they are in a smaller patch which becomes bigger or different as they turn the ground over. I think having them get used to you and come towards you for food or a scratch is a definite advantage when it comes to keeping an eye on their health, retrieving them if they manage to escape and being able to load them come the time they leave you.
Martha R

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 11:48:31 pm »
With them Having the big field when we check on them they come running looking for food hope fully that will keep them fit and the fat down? Also today got a hose pipe running up to the field saves carrying bucket's of water and a shower to boot :excited:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 05:12:37 pm »
And don't forget the wallow :pig: :pig:

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 07:45:30 pm »
There are a couple of silted up ditches running threw the field. I feed them just by one and its getting very muddy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS