Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crows - again  (Read 12434 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Crows - again
« on: March 31, 2015, 10:51:15 pm »
Not seen a topic on it yet this year so here goes! I've got crows stealing eggs from my two chicken breeding pens (as well as nicking the odd duck egg that gets laid outside but fortunately that's just one a day at the moment). I've had somebody in to shoot them - they disappear for one day and are back. I've followed that up with bangers - they take no notice. We have big spinning eyes everywhere -  no notice. We have fishing line over the top of the runs which helped last year but doesn't seem to be doing the job this year (think because it's thicker so it doesn't break so easily so maybe they can see it more easily). Today I've put eight fake eggs in each house and when I went up tonight, four of them were lying around on the ground. So at least I've annoyed them but I don't think it'll stop them, just delay them (and probably cause all the hens to go broody just before I need to start collecting hatching eggs for an order). Is there anything I can fill eggs with that will put off crows for life but not hurt chickens? Any other suggestions?

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Crows - again
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 12:47:24 am »
Ladder trap? I'm going to build one if they start on my eggs this year. I suspect that it is probably one or two birds who get smart and cause all the trouble. I doubt it is hundreds of passing crows dropping in for an egg. So, if you can nail those ones.....

Other idea I had was building a permanent hide in the field and spending a few days in it with a good book, an air rifle and bottle of chardonnay or 2.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 07:01:23 am »
Think you'd need a week in a hide judging by mine! It could well be only one bird - I haven't seen the hoards of crows we had last year. But he/she's a clever chap.....

How does a ladder trap work?

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 07:20:30 am »
I have a bit of experience of this problem having had crows, magpies and a huge flock of jackdaws at various times. Shooting them is a waste of time as they are way too clever and can spot a gun a mile off. We found that catching a few using a larsen trap (no real need for a decoy bird we just use the trap on it's own baited with eggs) and hanging their carcasses around the chicken pens kept them away. They really don't like to see one of their kind dead and will go elswhere.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 07:24:08 am »
They really don't like to see one of their kind dead and will go elswhere.
does that work with pigeons to keep 'em off my brassicas  grrrr
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 09:11:23 am »
Yes I was going to suggest hanging a dead one up around the pen- our friend does this on his silage pit with success.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 09:40:10 am »
I hung a dead fledgling up last year-it works for a bit (their initial reaction to it was astounding though). They aren't stealing eggs this year but they've worked out all the feeders and its costing me a fortune. Pens with netting on just don't work here in the winter (and its still winter going on the last few days).

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 09:56:59 am »
I've got one dead one up at the moment and that's not working - the shock factor works for a day or so and then they learn to ignore it. Maybe I need to move it around a bit.....

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 02:04:44 pm »
You could try hanging strips of hessian sacking over the entrance to the house, that may deter them.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 04:15:14 pm »
Google ladder trap and you will find an image. It's a large frame with chicken wire around it. On top is a 'ladder' construction like a ladder laid flat with holes I think about 8" square. The crow can get in by landing on the ladder and sliding through but getting out requires flying and they can't get their wings through the hole. I appreciate that some people don't like the idea of trapping but no harm is done to the bird until you deal with it. It's just caged and once you have one, others will be attracted. A dead rabbit or chicken carcass is good bait. It's very important to make sure there is fresh water in the trap and to check it regularly.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 08:28:36 pm »
Don't Larsen and ladder traps have to be registered with police ,sspca / rspca ???

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 11:26:56 pm »
Law is explained in some detail here:

http://birdersagainst.org/cage-traps/

It's worth noting that even the RSPB do a lot of corvid control when required. It's all about balance.

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 08:05:37 am »
I have a huge problem with rooks. Shoot one and hang it up by the pen. After a few day's they'll return so shoot another and put it in a different location. Continue this process if they return. From my experience, this has proven the most successful. I tried more humane methods to please the wife but to no avail, so resorted back to the good old fashioned way!

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 09:39:40 am »
I hung up dead ones couple years ago, they avoided for an afternoon, then knocked them down and ate them. I had shot a jackdaw, crow and rook.  :-\

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 08:23:27 am »
Good morning, following this post with interest as we are also plagued with Crows, not only stealing eggs but going for the pig feed as soon as I put it down, I now put the feed in separate bowls for the pigs and the crows till go for it. Sorry I rambled on, I bought a second hand Larsen trap it has all the wooden perches etc. with it but I do not know how to set it up, can anybody tell me please? I do not want to use a call bird but propose to use pig feed and eggs as bait.
Many thanks in advance.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS