Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat struggling to walk  (Read 2407 times)

Medi-K

• Joined Mar 2015
Goat struggling to walk
« on: March 31, 2015, 02:57:25 pm »
Hi, I am new to this forum and would appreciate advice.
I have 2 anglo nubain pet goats who are brothers from a set of triplets.
I have had them since 10 weeks old and they are now 2 years old.
Recently the one male goat has shown signs of lameness on his one foreleg and is struggling to walk. He is lying down to eat and graze.
I have had a livestock vet attend who has suggested his ligaments in his fetlock have gone on this lame leg and also showing the same signs on both hind legs which look to be bowing. He suggested he will eventually struggle to remain standing and prognosis was poor.
Has anyone else heard of this and would you suggest chronic pain relief or is quality of life going to be poor?
Also maybe could you suggest a local goat vet to worcestershire who could attend.
Many thanks

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Goat struggling to walk
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 09:11:48 pm »
Welcome to the forum  :wave: and sorry to hear your goats not well.

I can't give any advise I'm afraid but a more experienced person will be along soon.

Where in Worcestershire are you? 
I grew up in Malvern.
Another member - plumseverywhere - is in Worcestershire maybe you could send her a message about vets. 

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 09:21:09 pm »
At two years old, he's young to be getting problems like arthritis, but old to be getting congenital problems or things like joint ill.
I'd be concerned it may be CAE. Caprine arteritis encephalitis. It is caused by a virus and is easily tested for by a single blood sample by your vet. If this is what he has, the prognosis is very poor and would be kindest to put him down and get his mate a friend from a CAE tested herd.
Hope you and your vet find the answer and get him soon.
Suzanne

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 06:21:07 am »

Willow.........

Uses: The leaves and bark of the willow tree have been mentioned in ancient texts as a remedy for aches and fever. Even the Ancient Greek physician Hippocrates wrote about its medicinal properties in the fifth century BC. Native Americans across the American continent relied on it as a staple of their medical treatments.
By 1829, scientists discovered that it was the compound called salicin in willow plants which provided the pain relief. The bark of the Willow trees contains salicin, a substance that chemically resembles aspirin. It temporarily relieves headache, stomachache, and other body pain. Salicin is metabolized into salicylic acid in the human body, which is a precursor of aspirin.
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 06:16:13 pm »
Possibility he could have laminitis has he eaten too much concentrates (like scoffed his pals ration as well as his own). If it's laminitis normally remove concentrates and vet normally presribes anti inflammatory injection, some lines of goats are prone to it and need a lower protein diet, sometimes an infection starts it off as well. Hope this helps, Good Luck

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 08:44:34 pm »
Just seen this and as they are AN's it is most likely Laminitis. AN's are more prone to it than other breeds. As Talana says - it will need the vet I would have thought.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS