Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: just looking at ear tags  (Read 8097 times)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
just looking at ear tags
« on: March 30, 2015, 09:13:17 am »
OK…not really looked into this yet, as the paddocks are under construction,
but soon the animals will be arriving  :excited:

i know they will have ear tags, attached from their original home, and i know i will need to replace any that gets lost with my own tags, i also know they need certain tags when going to slaughter,

so i looked at getting some made up……thats where i hit a brick wall…i have my flock / herd number, and cph,
but there are so many different tags….and colours..

my goats will be for breeding, my pigs will be for slaughter..NO BREEDING at this stage, and my 1st sheep will be for breeding, ….i see there are a few different tags  for slaughter ??? what ones do you guys use

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: just looking at ear tags
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 10:35:15 am »
I send pigs off with metal tags for slaughter and only tag them when they are in the trailer. Lambs to slaughter likewise but with plastic tags, one eid and one plain. I Get my tags from Ritchie, as for the goats well......only have one kid from last year and shhhh don't tell but he doesn't have any tags. Mums both came with tags although I noticed that one has gotten broken but as you can still see the numbers I am leaving it alone. I really hate tagging.
Anne

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 11:09:55 am »
You will have the same flock number for the sheep and goats so can use the same tags for both. One thing to consider is which type of sheep you will be getting and the size of their ears. Mine have little ears and I have found the Roxan ones best as the post is really small and doesn't make such a big hole in their ears.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 11:15:06 am »
How have you got already a herd/flock number of you haven't got any animals yet? They are only issued when you actually have acquired the animals and they are on your holding?!

Any animals registered with a breed society and goats with the BGS will have to have identical ear tags (with original herd and individual Nos) as replacements if needed, otherwise registration invalid. The tag companies will replace, as you will have ear tag no on registration certificate. Some breed societies (for sheep) will insist on additional info on tag, so I wouldn't jump the gun and order tags just yet...

Only animals born on your holding will have your numbers.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 11:22:22 am »
ok, this is good, we will be keeping poll dorset sheep, so normal tags just for staying on the land, then fit a EID when going to slaughter..i take it colour is just a personal thing  ???

http://www.fearing.co.uk/tags/sheep-tags-1

so pigs have a normal tag then fit a slaughter tag when they are ready to go..those metal tags look painful  :o ouch

http://www.fearing.co.uk/pig-tags-1

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 11:24:11 am »
How have you got already a herd/flock number of you haven't got any animals yet? They are only issued when you actually have acquired the animals and they are on your holding?!

Any animals registered with a breed society and goats with the BGS will have to have identical ear tags (with original herd and individual Nos) as replacements if needed, otherwise registration invalid. The tag companies will replace, as you will have ear tag no on registration certificate. Some breed societies (for sheep) will insist on additional info on tag, so I wouldn't jump the gun and order tags just yet...

Only animals born on your holding will have your numbers.

I rang up when i registered the holding, they asked me what animals i will be keeping, so i said pigs, sheep goats and maybe cattle…. they then sent me the CPH number and the herd and flock numbers

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 11:25:49 am »
RPA gave the CPH
Animal welfare gave flock/herd number

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 11:27:26 am »
we do already own 6 goats, but they are still on the holding of birth until our place is ready, and they have tags from that holding

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 11:29:23 am »
just out of curiosity Anke..how could you buy in stock without a flock herd number , surly you would need that number for movement…  ??? or would the CPH number be enough

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 11:30:29 am »
ok, this is good, we will be keeping poll dorset sheep, so normal tags just for staying on the land, then fit a EID when going to slaughter..i take it colour is just a personal thing  ???

http://www.fearing.co.uk/tags/sheep-tags-1

so pigs have a normal tag then fit a slaughter tag when they are ready to go..those metal tags look painful  :o ouch

http://www.fearing.co.uk/pig-tags-1

No all sheep over a year old will need one EID tag and a secondary identifier (tattoo, pastern tag or bolus, or 2nd ear tag), even when on your holding.

My pigs go to slaughter with their standard ear tags in (from original breeder), never had a query from abattoir. No need for additional tags... as then they would have two different numbers...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 11:36:55 am »
just out of curiosity Anke..how could you buy in stock without a flock herd number , surly you would need that number for movement…  ??? or would the CPH number be enough

You only need your CPH number for movements, your own herd number only comes into play when you actually breed your own stock on your holding.

So up here (Scotland) you phone them once your animals have arrived and then they issue you with a flock number, but you get your CPH number any time (my neighbour only has CPH, I use his field with my stock, all stock born on my holding, so have my number).

If they would issue "on -spec" numbers, they would end up with loads of numbers in use for people who may then use them fraudulently... even so my pig herd number causes problems as I don't breed, but only fatten... have to keep telling them every so often, as no (pig) stock with my number has been slaughtered/sold/moved in a few years...

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 11:48:54 am »
ok..i am surprised they issued me the flock and herd number then…i did tell them i have not yet taken any animals to site….

our pigs will be brought in to fatten to start with, breeding will come later when the experience has been gained,
our goats are only for milking , until next year when we will start a breeding programme,same with the sheep

if we decide to have beef cattle then that again will only be for fattening up, but that is in the distant future, don't want to run before learning to walk

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 12:43:59 pm »
I think you are running pretty much, starting with sheep, goat and pigs all at the same time... most of us took it a lot slower...

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 01:30:54 pm »
Animal health told me I needed a flock number before I got my animals and issued one to me then
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 01:41:29 pm »
I also got my herd number before my pigs arrived although remember I had 30 days from arrival to register them.

I have also been looking into ear tags as my pigs are due to go to slaughter in about 3 weeks. They still have their original tags and I was told I needed to add my herd number before going to slaughter.

Have also been reading that goats need one in each ear (but not EID) once they reach over a year old. Is that right?
________
Caroline

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS