Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another ( probably daft) farrowing question  (Read 6069 times)

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
Another ( probably daft) farrowing question
« on: March 28, 2015, 01:15:44 pm »
Sorry if this is very daft- I'm not very practical and have never done this before!

So, we have now made a pretty swish looking maternity unit out of our sheep shelter- complete with farrowing bar! We have divided it so that it can house our 2 girls who are due sometime soon. The third girl is about 3 weeks behind.

Our current thought is the the first two move into their individual quarters in the adapted shelter and that the third girl stays in the  arc.
My question is this- do we shut the girls who are about to farrow in, or leave them to use the outside area as they wish? Will they naturally separate or all return to the arc? Sorry if this is dumb.....

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Another ( probably daft) farrowing question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 08:40:48 am »
Hi Debbie,

I don't know how big your area is or how you have separated your farrowing area.

They will look for somewhere quiet away from the others but I wouldn't assume they will go where you want them to farrow or that the others won't also try to go in with one that is farrowing.

I would shut them where you want them especially as they haven' farrowed before.

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 09:02:28 am »
Thanks Harmony,
After much humming and hawing and scratching of heads we have fenced  off a little patch for her outside her area so that she can get out a bit and still see the others. She seems happy in her new quarters, so time for us to watch and wait.......I feel just like I used to when I was little and waiting for Christmas!!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 10:03:10 am »
As they get closer to farrowing they like their own space. We have pigs in two buildings but only farrow in one. When I move them across to farrow the experienced sows take themselves across when I open the door. Look forward to further news.

Just another point if the farrowing area has access to an outdoor bit - put something across the bottom of the farrowing area exit so the sow can go in and out but the piglets can't wander off as they are born.

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 03:11:08 pm »
Thanks Harmony, will do.

She is nesting this afternoon, spending ages rearranging bits of straw. She seems very happy to be in her new quarters and to have some solitude..

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 03:35:10 pm »
That sounds like she's very close then Debbie...mine farrowed the evening she started doing this in the late afternoon. It's a very specific type of behaviour I thought - gently picking up bits in their mouth and carrying it and placing it somewhere very deliberate. Fascinating to watch!

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 10:57:54 am »
She is out enjoying the sunshine this morning and let me rub her belly as she snoozed in the sun. Her belly is hard- full of piglets I hope, and I could feel little bumps! When I squeeze her teats two little milk beads appear. Her vulva is definately red and swollen and her nest is built. I'm hoping the stage is set!

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 09:15:07 pm »
Any development with your pig/s Debbie?
 :pig: :pig: :pig:

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 10:47:40 pm »
Hi! She started at 5pm- couldn't quite believe how fast they popped out! Just the most amazing thing- 8 in total. She got a bit pestered by the whole experience, but is sleeping now and they are all cuddled up under the heat lamp. Incredible. Am so proud of her! Think we all need a nights sleep now and will see what the morning brings.
Thankyou all so much for holding my hand through this. It's so good to know that you are there xx

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 11:23:51 pm »
Brilliant! Did they all get a drink before she slept? And great they already found the heat lamp.
Martha R
 :excited:

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 07:23:00 am »
I think that they all had a drink, well certainly the first 7, the last scooted out with the afterbirth, but I think got some before mum got a bit stressed. All calm this morning, but haven't been too near as Mum still sleeping and I don't want to fuss (!!!!)
Will try to upload pics  :)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 08:42:17 am »
Great news  :excited:

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 02:38:46 pm »
Piggies!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS