Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Day old chick has a cloudy eye?  (Read 4561 times)

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
Day old chick has a cloudy eye?
« on: March 28, 2015, 12:36:47 pm »
Hatched 3 Sumatra chicks yesterday, 1 has a film of grey over its eye - looks like it's blind? Other eye is normal. Only thing I can find googling is Mareks which Im not sure is possible as it doesn't transfer from mum to egg etc, only other thing I can think of is maybe a trauma? Anyone have experience of this?
All 3 chicks look very sleepy, I've dipped all their beaks in water but no interest or in pecking about for food  :-\

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Day old chick has a cloudy eye?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 01:37:29 pm »
Is the inner eyelid stuck NicandChic? Chicks won't eat for at least 24 hours after hatching because they are still absorbing the yolk. Perhaps they will eat and drink tomorrow? You may have to encourage them because not all will do it automatically- they should have a mummy showing them what to do of course.

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 01:51:16 pm »
No it's not the inner lid I can see that popping back and forward, it's over 24hrs now since they hatched, just been sat watching them...ones pecking the life out the other 2 already, they just don't seem quite right! I recently hatched some light Sussex who were up and about eating and drinking pecking about, these just seem different! Just noticed another is holding one of its eyes shut, eye looks normal!! Strange!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 07:23:00 pm »
Don't know what would cause the cloudy eye but you can indeed rule out Marek's as you're right about it not being transferred via the egg.

Good luck to those chicks  :fc:

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 10:21:03 pm »
All eating & drinking  :thumbsup:

Attached pic of the chicks eye, still cant find anything on the Internet  ???

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 09:14:21 am »
Hmmm... Maybe call some avian vets and vet schools on Monday and see if you can email them the picture?
Sometimes they haven't seen that problem in birds before but recognise it from other animals.

Great news on the eating & drinking, very pleased for you and them  :thumbsup:

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 10:54:39 am »
I don't know much about chickens but that looks as though it may be a cataract. Possibly due to a problem during development. If it was due to congenital infection I would expect it to be bilateral.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 12:34:14 pm »
Looks like cataract to me too, probably blind in that eye.  Might clear, though, you never know.  Hope so.  I wouldn't despatch it just for that.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 01:51:05 pm »
Well I've really no idea today it's almost gone, just a small clouded patch just off centre!

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 05:10:15 pm »
That sounds encouraging! Perhaps it had a bump getting out of the egg. Hope it continues to improve.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS