Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to Sheep..........what courses are worth doing?  (Read 4145 times)

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
New to Sheep..........what courses are worth doing?
« on: March 28, 2015, 10:12:00 am »

Ok, so we are developing our croft and want to get sheep. We have to be honest though and say apart from reading books we don't know anything about the care and keeping of them. Is it worth going on one of the courses advertised in smallholder mags, if so which one. Or.....do we just buy them and learn on the job, it does seem to work for many?

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: New to Sheep..........what courses are worth doing?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 10:35:10 am »
I would find a course or a friendly local personally. You can read in the books but actually doing on a live sheep is a whole other ball game :) I have learnt loads from helping at lambing and when foot dipping and before that I considered myself "book smart"

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 11:08:32 am »
Go HelpXing
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 11:20:22 am »
Ask around to see if there's a local farmer who might agree to you helping out with routine tasks - turning and foot trimming a sheep is very different to reading about it.  Or you could let your grass keep to a local shepherd in return for lessons.

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 01:50:37 pm »

My neighbour would help I'm sure, we actually let him graze his sheep on our land before we started our house build. Just really wondered whether a course would be a good head start.

There are so many courses but picking the right one seems a bit of a gamble without some guidance.

Thanks for the comments so far .........

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 02:58:06 pm »
I seem to remember from a distant post past that you are a member of the Scottish Crofting Federation, but if I'm wrong and despite my previous comments, it's worth joining and they may be able to put you in touch with other members locally who would mentor you. I don't know what we would have done without our 'crofting angel'. Their courses are also excellent, and you get a discount if you're a member.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 03:55:04 pm »
Hamish, I did two courses. The first was a free day's introductory course run by SRUC, which included an afternoon of hands on. It might be worth contacting them to see if they're running it again further North?

Also I did the SRUC lambing course a month ago. This was paid for (though you might be eligible for ILA funding if you're lucky). Again, this was a fantastic course. Not for the faint hearted, but still a great way to learn the basics.

Womble.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 02:55:21 pm »

Thanks all.  The SRUC courses sound just right, I'll give the local office a call.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 05:15:27 pm »
If you are able to travel, get yourself onto Tim Tyne's lambing course next March in the wild west of Wales. It's residential for about a week, and if you can read through his book beforehand even better. While you are there for lambing, you will also have a chance to do some foot trimming, dagging back ends.. and that's mostly all you need to learn.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 05:21:46 pm »
I agree with Anke, one day courses are expensive and you don't really get the 'feel' of sheep. 12 people around one sheep is not fair on the poor thing. Stress etc.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 05:42:40 pm »
Find a local farmer who needs some help. No better way than the hands on method.

Unlikely on a course to be presented with what I had this morning. 2 big lambs dead inside the ewe. Managed eventually to get them out with the help of the neighbour farmer but not entire.

Ewe suffered a heart attack and lost her as well.

[size=78%] [/size]
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 07:05:58 pm »
I offer hands on training based on one to one or two and my friend provides the accommodation in either a log cabin,yurt or barn conversion.

My courses are tailored to your specific requirements and involve lots of sheepy time.

I cover anything and everything from foot care, vaccination, worming, fencing, nutrition, handling, etc,

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 07:55:26 pm »
I've just been on Tim Tyne's lambing course - it's excellent.
It lasts a whole 5 days so it covers pretty much every aspect of sheep husbandry, not just lambing.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS