Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goslings hatching  (Read 4752 times)

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
Goslings hatching
« on: March 28, 2015, 07:44:53 am »
Well despite my efforts not to hatch goslings the little darlings, 2 out of 4, are looking as if they are going to hatch. They are squeaking and one is piping so l have to get the brooder ready.  Please, has anyone any tips on how to keep these small creatures and what do you feed them to start them off. Can l give them chopped egg etc. Going to get some waterfowl crumbs today.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Goslings hatching
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 11:15:49 am »
They're really easy, and really messy.

We start them off on chick crumb right away (unmedicated, since they're waterfowl). We just keep them in a shed, contained within a brooder ring, with a heat pad and a cat bowl of water. After a week or two the brooder ring gets removed and we open the pop hole to outside, which gives them access to a small run when the weather is nice. You'll be amazed how much grass they eat, and how quickly. Having the outside access also stops them from getting bored and munching the down from their friends' backs.

You'll find they'll imprint on you very easily, and whilst that's impossibly cute, do think long term whether you really want full grown geese thinking you're their mother. Luckily our first lot imprinted on my wellies and not me, so all that was required to break the cycle before it became a problem was a change of footwear! :roflanim:

My favourite part is the fact they're very obviously geese from their behaviour right from day one. Bear in mind that unless there's a colour difference etc in your breed, you can sex them at day old (videos on youtube for vent sexing goslings) or 6 months, but it's almost impossible in between.

Have fun!   :thumbsup:

"You act cute and distract him, and I'll nip round the back and steal his sandwiches...."

"I am Gandalf, future terroriser of cats, chickens and DHL delivery drivers. Got any duck crumb?"

"Must follow mummy wellie!!"
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:18:06 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 11:48:48 am »
awww, they are solo cute!love the captions :D

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 12:11:22 pm »
Wonderful photos and captions! And very useful advice. How do you make a brooder ring, or can you buy them?

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 03:33:40 pm »
Oh Womble they are cute.  How long does it take from the first piping to finally break out of the egg?

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 03:37:12 pm »
Wonderful photos and captions! And very useful advice. How do you make a brooder ring, or can you buy them?

can't speak for Womble but I had one made of ply that was done up with a ratchet strap. It was about 4ft across and 3 foot high onto of some ply in the shed.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 04:04:53 pm »
They are super cute at that age, aren't they?  ;D   Less so yesterday when Gandalf sneaked up and bit me on the bum whilst I was trying to quietly watch a ewe lambing in the next field though!

You can buy brooder rings, but they're pretty expensive. We made ours out of a 55 gallon plastic keg we got from a friend

All I did was to cut the bottom off with an angle grinder (leave an inch or two of the wall on it and it makes a great bath for young geese and ducks later), then also cut off the top and threw that away.

I was then left with a big tube of plastic, which I cut in half to give two smaller tubes.

If you're using a heat lamp, the single tube may be big enough, but in my case I made a single cut in each tube to make two C-shaped sections, then joined these together using pop rivets to make one big brooder ring. It's easier to do than explain TBH, but if that made no sense, let me know and I'll go out and take a photo for you!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 04:09:06 pm »
Oh Womble they are cute.  How long does it take from the first piping to finally break out of the egg?

Usually at least 3 hours IME, but it can be a lot longer. Like all chicks, they'll work a while and rest a while, and if they're still struggling and peeping away, they're generally fine. There are lots of threads on this elsewhere, but generally the more you leave them alone, the better they'll be. (Especially for waterfowl, if you keep opening the incubator to check them, it disturbs the humidity and can cause the membranes to dry out and trap the goslings).

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 01:34:46 pm »
Well they have hatched (7am) and look good. Endearing small creatures.  Not sure if they have a brain yet and they are having trouble walking, hope this is normal. Very unsteady on the legs.  Not seen them eat yet but dipped the beak in water so they have had a drink.  How do l get them to eat and how long can they go without feeding after hatching? I am a bit dim about all this.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 04:18:11 pm »
I'm fairly certain that they don't have to eat or drink for 24 hours because they are still absorbing the yolk sac.

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 05:17:05 pm »
Thanks Possum a bit like chicks then.  They are finding their legs now, still look a bit drunk but l think l may become addicted to goslings.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 10:38:41 am »
How do l get them to eat and how long can they go without feeding after hatching? I am a bit dim about all this.

The remains of the yolk sack can keep them going for up to three days but the earlier they can get to food and water the better, in a lot of the commercial hatcheries it can sometimes be 48 hours between hatching and being placed on the farm.

24 hours is no problem for them  :thumbsup:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 02:53:37 pm »
An inflatable padding pool makes a great brooding ring as it can be hosed out easily.
Anne

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 08:38:42 pm »
Aha! We've got one of those. Problem solved. :thumbsup:

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 11:20:23 am »
Using a high sided paddling pool in the back room, wont be long before they will leap over the sides.  The constant cheeping is not adorable though, ( is this normal ) but the goslings themselves, lovely, inquisitive, brave and adventurous.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS