Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Split nails  (Read 2991 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Split nails
« on: March 27, 2015, 03:45:16 pm »
I was going to put this on the Health and Beauty board but couldn't find it  :innocent:

I've always had pretty strong nails but maybe a month or more ago three nails split - left had ring finger and pinkie, ring finger on right hand.

You can see where the weakness runs from the base to tip, and as it get to the tip it splits. I'm keeping my nails very short (they're always pretty short) and trying to buff down any rough edges to stop the splits catching but just as I almost get it grown out, it catches of something, especially things like animal hair and hay.

I cannot wear gloves but is there anything I could put on the split nails to hold them together? Also any ideas why they woudl split now? Never had this problem before.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Split nails
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 03:50:27 pm »
well the manly mans answer is run a wee bit of super glue into the crack to reinforce it till it grows out.

not sure what the girly pretty nails answer is sorry :-)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 03:52:55 pm »
Ever since I broke my little pinkie in a shredder (yes - ouch) my nail does the same.  I use super glue and let it really set before using a file on it.  From what I have read, not a lot you can do about it - it's probably damage done right underneath the base of your nail and will not mend....

...unless you have acrylic nails 'applied' over it at huge expense.

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 04:07:40 pm »
Nails are quite a good indicator of health. If you haven't damaged them at all then it might be some kind of deficiency?

Have you been poorly recently?

Might be worth asking the doctor what they think.

Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 04:17:43 pm »
Hmm, superglue has been mentioned here. I might have to go with that.

My hand take such a battering, there could well have been damage in the nail bed.

No, Bex, not been poorly but I might have a word with the local pharmacist - it might be a chocolate deficiency  :eyelashes:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 04:20:25 pm »
Central Scotland Smallholders have a qualified nail and beauty expert set up to do a talk and demo near the end of April as our first meet of teh year - possibly with a seed/seedling/plant exchange on the  same evening.  Probably at Mayfield,  Stirling
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 04:24:31 pm »
I have bitten mine all my life - well since I was 3 I'm told,   :'( so I've definitely got damaged nail beds and mine split all the time - I have been having mine shellacked, which works perfectly as long as the shellac is in place but it only lasts about 3 weeks and costs £15 so I use nail strengthener and clear nail varnish to supplement visits.  But i do still bite them when a bit of nail comes off.  Bad habit i know, but it's automatic, and i do n't realise I'm doing it.

I'm hoping Nicolas talk and demo will help me.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 04:31:01 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 04:27:21 pm »
Classical guitarists used to use nail varnish  and tissue paper to repair broken nails . Won't cure the problem but it does work . It usually a deficiency of some sort that causes them to split/crack . 

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 05:07:37 pm »
You can buy a nail repair kit but you don't really need to buy it. Basically its a fine fibre which you put on and reinforce it with glue. So the superglue would work fine but maybe add something else too.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 05:50:57 pm »
This is the time of year when my dear old Gran would pronounce that we'd all got "run down" over the Winter and give us a weekly dose of something disgusting from a brown glass bottle she'd got from the chemist.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 05:59:18 pm »

No, Bex, not been poorly but I might have a word with the local pharmacist - it might be a chocolate deficiency  :eyelashes:

Actually magnesium deficiency can be part of the cause of nail problems and dark chocolate is high in magnesium  ;D  Get eating girl  :thumbsup:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 07:37:29 pm »
Chocolate will cure everything ! Or help you forget about things!

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 10:52:01 pm »
The superglue thing works really well and is easy to apply if you can find it with a brush applicator. Last stuff we had was found on the Internet as Tesco don't seem to stock it any longer.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS