Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another lame question  (Read 1685 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Another lame question
« on: March 27, 2015, 01:10:31 pm »
Ace (or Jeremy, as he's better known on the internet  :innocent: )  is bobbing his head as he walks today, and one of is front hooves has a nasty vertical split in it right down the front edge, with the 'toenail' coming away from the inner hoof. I can almost fit my finger in the gap between the toe and the toenail, so it's not good - a bit like the shelly hoof one of the others had, but affecting the front of the hoof and not the outside edge.

Any ideas on treatment?

Also, to help make sure this is that foot that's causing him the bother, when he bobs his head, will it go up in time with the sore foot, or down?  He's not holding it up or anything, so it makes it hard to tell.

Thanks!  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

pooks

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Another lame question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 01:16:31 pm »
head will go up as bad foot comes to the ground (taking some of the weight off it)
I would clean the foot, removing any mud and dirt, give it a spray with purple spray and a jab of a/bs.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 06:35:21 pm »
We're getting a fair bit of this sort of problem (a bit depressing).  I'd follow pooks' suggestion.  I'm not for trimming on every occasion, but when the hard shell is detached I might trim up to the crack, simply to prevent the pocket filling up with stuff and causing infection/abscess....

I'm coming to the view that with their four legs, it probably hurts us more than them when we watch them limping around ... :fc:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 07:35:14 pm »
Picture ?

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 10:56:52 pm »
I would definitely trim off the detached flap to avoid dirt etc getting tapped under it but also to prevent it being ripped off any more. Clean the whole foot with water (I use a bottle brush between the cleats), dry it and spray with a/b.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 11:11:31 pm »
Maybe a jab of Metacam as he's probably in pain?
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS