Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ewe behaviour  (Read 3702 times)

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
ewe behaviour
« on: March 27, 2015, 12:41:04 pm »
Sorry me again  ::)

I have a couple of ewes acting oddly. Staring at the ground, almost sniffing it but just looking confused, kicking at their tummys, keeping distant from the hay rack, just don't seem their selves, even as I type this I'm sure its normal for them, but I'd like to be sure. I've been scouring my sheep books,panicking its something sinister, lack of nutrition or something. They are due from the 30/3/15 and all are 'blue bums'.

Am I over worrying again? I have ten million scenarios going on in my head.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
Re: ewe behaviour
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 12:47:56 pm »
Hi there,  I do relate to the worry and the simply not knowing whether behaviour is normal or not!

Our flock sometimes freeze, head to the ground, and act perturbed.  We've decided that it's to do with them hearing mice or rabbits underneath them in the field..... But of course it could be something much more sinister, or nothing at all.....  Not seen them kicking their tummies though....

It'll be interesting to read what the more experienced out there say....

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 12:52:07 pm »
I actually thought one had annoyed a bee to begin with.
Doing all of tail wriggling, one almost looked like she was getting a fright when her lamb kicked. I sound like such a Muppet  :roflanim:

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 01:30:29 pm »
I am not experienced at all but my girl was pawing at the ground, sniffing it and talking to it (!) about half an hour before she lambed.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 02:31:07 pm »
Kicking at their bellies - I would say they are scratching / being irritated by flies.  How warm is it?  Are there any flies about?

Sniffing (or almost sniffing) at the ground is a pre-lambing behaviour.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 02:54:23 pm by Foobar »

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 02:49:55 pm »
Its not too warm, they are in a poly tunnel though. Should I get something to repel flies?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 02:55:54 pm »
Mild contractions can begin several days before the lambing process really begins in earnest.  Lambs can also get pretty lively - it would certainly make most humans pause for thought if they had eight feet doing the Cha Cha inside them. 

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 02:58:07 pm »
Could be midges?  But as MF says it could just be contractions.  These contractions will come and go, so the ewes should perk up in a bit and return to the hay rack to eat.

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 03:05:44 pm »
It could be midges, haven't spotted any but will keep a close eye on them.
Thanks, will keep you posted

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 03:53:38 pm »
My ewes are currently doing the same in the polytunnel, its due to the one or two flies around since the sun came out  :thumbsup:

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 06:28:21 pm »
so much for my rabbit theory then...... :idea: :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS