Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: still in pig?  (Read 2796 times)

pink

• Joined Mar 2009
still in pig?
« on: February 04, 2010, 04:45:22 pm »
i have a guilt saddleback who should be farrowing at the end of the month. she has never come back into season since being away from the boar, she looks bigger (no extra feeding)however today she looks like she has come back into season( swollen back end). i have not noticed her being of colour or anything to have lost them. what do you all think! your thoughts would be appreciated!

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: still in pig?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 10:39:36 pm »
They can sometimes show signs of heat whilsst in pig, I'd be inclined to assume she still is and be prepared!

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 12:58:06 am »
Are her teats getting more pronounced? I had a local farmer visit and tell me none of mine were in pig.....how wrong he was! Two due to pop early next week, all going well!

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 07:45:12 am »
Some gilts don't show signs of actually being in pig until very near to farrowing.  I have 2 due at the moment, one today who definitely looks very in pig.  The other, who is due next week, still has days when I'm not really that sure.  She hasn't shown any signs of coming into heat, so I'll have to wait and see next week.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 09:04:09 am »
It is difficult to tell soetimes, particularly a first timer, my gilt is due on 2 weeks and does look fatter but I wont be 100% sure until I have piglets to prove it! They dont always have changes in teats, size or give any clues, they like to keep us guessing!

pink

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 11:39:25 pm »
Thanks everyone. She sort of looks in pig but it was the looking like being in season that has thrown me have never had a pig like it!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 11:04:49 am »
Promise to let us know when they arrive and how many....

pedigree porker

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 07:00:39 pm »
Our gilt is due to farrow end of Feb, my partner has days when he says she doesn't look in pig at all, and as he didn't service her himself (not literally of course!), and its her first pregnancy, he says he wont be sure until she farrows. The comments above have given me confidence that she is in pig.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 07:54:42 am »
I have 2 sows due within a week of each other, one looks like she is about to drop any second (has 7 weeks to go) the other doesnt look pregnant at all.  From experience of these two I know that the "slim" one will drop first and produce more piglets than fatty.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS