Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep and ducks and fluke?  (Read 2465 times)

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
sheep and ducks and fluke?
« on: March 26, 2015, 04:36:57 pm »

I've heard its a good idea to keep ducks with sheep so they eat the snails which are the intermediate host of liver fluke. 

Does anyone know if this is true and if it is what is the optimum number of sheep to ducks?
Never ever give up.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: sheep and ducks and fluke?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 04:50:47 pm »
I guess it would be how many ducks you need per acre/m/ha as that should determine how many snails are on the land?! I probably wouldn't because if I turned my ducks out in a field I give them 10 minutes before foxy gets a nice meal and the amount of electric fencing you would need probably outweighs the benefits  :&>

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 06:58:46 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I hadn't thought of the fox thing.  There's always a reason why its difficult to be organic about parasite control.
Never ever give up.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 08:09:57 pm »
Ducks are fab snail hunters. Mine free range but seem to prefer the orchard rather than the sheep's pasture.  ::)
They do need locking up at night or the fox has them and remember that they also graze so will need to be taken into account.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 08:39:46 am »
I hope they reduce the snail population.
Well that's what I keep telling my neighbour because my ducks spend more time in his field than in mine. :roflanim:

They come back at bedtime to be shut in but I don't think it would be possible to stop them straying.
They venture further when they're in lay and stay home when they stop. ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS