Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Info on a lamb  (Read 5766 times)

FriesianLambs

• Joined Feb 2015
Info on a lamb
« on: March 26, 2015, 11:06:33 am »
I saved a lamb yesterday. He was born not breathing and very very small and the farmer threw him on the concrete floor. He gasped and I thought he was alive and went over. They said to leave it, but I saw his chest going up and felt a heart beat. He had slime in his mouth, so I took some out with my fingers, then took him out and swung him couple of times, dried him off with straw and he started coming around and I thought I would give it to his mum to see if she would take him.

The ewe started licking him, but was more busy with the other bigger lamb. I took the small thing home, dried him off properly, gave him a booster. He was making a noise, so under the lamp he went, with 2 hot water bottles to keep him warm.

Started him off on colostrum(about 40 ml every 3 hours) with a tube then yesterday evening he got his first feed of milk. Now, all afternoon, he was bleating, trying to get up sometimes and at one point he even stood for a couple of seconds. Somewhere in the evening the meconium also came off.

I got out of bed at 0300 in the morning and noticed his breathing was laboured and he had some more sticky poo, but he still swallowed the tube and milk down. Gave him another booster this morning because he seemed weaker and he had 2 feeds. I went to change his bedding and found he had died. I picked him up and the milk just ran from his mouth.

He definitely swallowed with the feed before he died.

I am a bit gutted of course, figured this might happen, but still wondering how come he was more alert yesterday afternoon and seemed to weaken overnight. I want to learn from this and I was hoping some of you might give more insight, so that next time I can do it right.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: Info on a lamb
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 12:11:45 pm »
Sounds like you done all you could. I doubt the farmer throwing him on the concrete floor done much good to him, maybe he broke a rib or two as a result. Well done for trying your best for the little chap  :hug:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 12:24:35 pm »
You tried but sometimes these things are not meant to be.

I doubt he had broken ribs. Don't forget he's just been delivered. They are fairly robust even at this stage. The jolt on the floor probably made him take that first breathe.  :hug:

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 12:31:21 pm »
So sad after all your efforts but some times they are just not meant to survive.  Perhaps his lungs were not fully developed.   :hug:

FriesianLambs

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 01:13:30 pm »
Thank you for the kind remarks. Means a lot to me

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 01:20:10 pm »
The very, very small ones rarely survive, although I personally always give them the benefit of the doubt and my best shot. 

FriesianLambs

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 01:25:07 pm »
Me too Marches Farmer. When I saw him gasp and felt that heartbeat, I just had to try. They all deserve a change and the special cases are dear to me.

I have a 6 week and 5 week lamb in the shed who were also special needs and they're jumping around in their pen. That's why I keep going even though sometime I loose one, like little Mini today

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 02:30:03 pm »
You gave the little one a chance, that's all anyone could expect and more than most would do.  :hug:

This one just wasn't viable, and a lot of the weaklings and runts aren't.  So by all means try, it's very rewarding when the odd one does come right - but if you find yourself getting very upset about the ones that don't, you may need to be a bit more selective about the ones you try to save.  (And some of them will rally and then die after a week or two, which is even more upsetting.)

I always give them a chance if they seem to want to be alive, but I've learned to not force help on the ones that won't help themselves.  And I have to accept that there will still be losses, and they'll hurt. :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 03:46:16 pm »
So sad LC, you did your best  :bouquet:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 03:46:23 pm »
Good on you for trying your best, it's terrible when it happens when others come out wanting to be there and a few others that regardless sof what you do they just aren't meant to be, where there's a little glimmer of life  you have to try, and don't beat yourself up you did your very best  :bouquet:

FriesianLambs

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 06:53:27 am »
I'm really glad reading your replies.

I'm still beating myself over it, because my husband went to a friend of ours, who owns a flock and who we help with his sheep and he said I went from colostrum to milk too soon and overfed the little guy....

Because when I was feeding the colostrum, the lamb seemed to get better and when I went to milk he seemed to get worse again.

I don't understand, because I always feed like that...

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 07:53:44 am »
It is sad when all your efforts fail Comfort yourself with the thought that you did your best :hug: :hug:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 07:40:27 pm »
You can't win them all but don't give up trying :hug: .  Sometimes in losing something we learn a lesson, so it is not all in vain.

FriesianLambs

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 08:53:18 pm »
Thank you all. I thought about quitting, just not take in bummer lambs anymore, but I can't quit. Then those little guys/girls don't have a chance. And I absolutely love the feeling when one does pull through.
Thank you for the kind words  :hug:

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 10:08:59 pm »
I know that feeling when it doesn't work out and you go over and over it to find ways to beat yourself up. Be kind to yourself, you did all that could be done, sometimes it just isn't meant to be. At least the little one was warm, fed and cared for and was made comfy. Well done you x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS