Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Am I feeding enough  (Read 2127 times)

patmci

• Joined Jun 2009
Am I feeding enough
« on: February 03, 2010, 09:25:54 pm »
I have 2 in pig sows a breeding boar and fattener in a paddock and am feeding them around 14 kilos of barley,flaked maize, soya and beet pulp in a wet mix. They get 7 kilos in the morning and the same in the evening. Is this enough or should i up it. They finish it about 10 minutes.

Regards Patrick

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Am I feeding enough
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 08:27:24 am »
It really depends on how they look, although personally we always feed at least 2 kilos per pig per day, in this colder weather its 3, plus vegetables.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: Am I feeding enough
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 08:43:15 am »
How old is the fattener? Have you felt the others for condition? As a general guide; when you press on their back and down around their ribs;[pressure should be moderate]  you should just be aware of their bones ;if they feel very obvious then increase feed. Old time pig farmers recommend that it should take about 20 mins for the feed to be eaten it is a pretty accurate measure of feed levels . We generally feed about 7lbs -8lbs for adults and stick to the rule of 1lb of meal per month of life [up to 6lbs of meal ]for fatteners. I hope all that makes sense

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS