Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pygmy house.  (Read 2291 times)

MILLSII3

• Joined Mar 2015
Pygmy house.
« on: March 24, 2015, 08:58:28 pm »
Hello and thanks for looking.

I'm in the process of getting everything ready for our two Pygmys arriving next month. I'd like a little bit of advice regarding some things I'm not totally sure about.

I'm going to be using a new 6x6 garden shed with a window to keep the little ones in at night time (for now) and I'm not sure what would be the best for covering the floor in.

I plan on having a raised "bed" of straw accessed by small steps for them to sleep or relax on. I'm hoping this will keep the floor of the shed easier to clean and maintain but I don't know wether to leave it as a plain hard floor or maybe something a little softer, I was thinking maybe a sawdust/wood chipping or even more straw.

Just trying to keep it practical and as odor free as possible so any reccomendations are appreciated.

Also I was wondering if the pygmy goats will naturally go to the toilet in their house or will they go outside. Wasn't sure if they would urinate where they sleep? If so Im hopefully going to train them to go outside.

Thanks again, appreciate the replies.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Pygmy house.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 10:30:54 pm »
My goats started off in a garden shed, now extended. The floor is wooden so I drilled some one inch diameter holes in it for drainage. I put down straw. They don't have a raised section, which is a great idea but I doubt they'll just use their bed. Mine poo as they wander around and as they eat. It seems almost continual pooing in our yard. The whole shed floor is wet as well.

If you can train them to go outside, please share how.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 06:20:57 am »
Hi :wave:

I have pygmy goats and some use raised areas, some don't. I have rubber mats on my floors topped with straw.

Is your shed on a concrete base, if not maybe a rubber mat at the entrance because this will help prevent it getting too muddy.

Good luck and enjoy your wee characters
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

MILLSII3

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 07:24:21 am »
Thanks for the replies! I don't know about training them to go outside its just something I've read whilst doing my endless online browsing haha.

The shed base is going to be a raised timber base not concrete and the shed floor is timber also. I did think about drilling the floor but I was worried about the odor it would create sitting underneath the shed where as a solid floor or mats would be easier to clean.

I live in a residential area so I'm trying not to give the neighbours anything to worry/complain about  :innocent:

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 04:27:18 pm »
When we first had pygmies, in a back garden, in a modified shed, we also had a platform and usually at least one slept on it. The floor was wooden and we managed to scrounge some old kitchen vinyl flooring which we put down and covered with hay. This worked really well and when we cleaned everything out completely, a quick hose down and after drying there was no smell. They had been in there for just over a year and cleaned out regularly of course but this definitely worked. BH also screwed some scrubbing brushes to the fences at strategic places which they loved to scratch against. We used hay for bedding as they are so fussy about what they eat that a lot ends up on the floor anyway and as there was no cost difference it was easier just having all hay.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

MILLSII3

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 04:49:20 pm »
Thanks for the tips! Some very good ideas there that I will be using. I like the idea of brush heads from them to rub against and a couple of people have suggested the vinyl floor so I'm edging towards that aswell. Was slightly worried they would try to eat it.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 10:15:27 pm »
I live in a built up area as well so I do have to be careful. The holes I drilled in the goat shed floor allow the fluid to drain away. It must sink into the soil underneath because I've never noticed a smell.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS