Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to castrate. Update.  (Read 3777 times)

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
When to castrate. Update.
« on: March 24, 2015, 12:21:04 pm »
Not of my making, but ended up with 2 ewe and 2 ram cade lambs of 2 -3 weeks old. They are destined for the freezer at 7/8 months and it's not practical to segregate. I’ve not been faced with this before but realise the castration needs to be by vet.  Before I ring the vet, what advice for when to have it done and what method.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 06:18:18 pm by EP90 »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: When to castrate
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 04:08:09 pm »
When we've had lambs castrated, our vet has always used an open incision. No flies at this time of year here. Not had a problem to date but only had two done over the years.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 05:29:39 pm »
There's also the Burdizzo, but it looks medieval and horrible, so I would avoid that. 
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 05:39:12 pm »
I only know that if you were going to use an elastrator, it has to be within the first week.  Not sure about other methods.  Our vet castrates our bull calves (that sounds like we have loads but we only have one calf each year!!!) with an open incision.  He gets one of the chaps to pull the tail back along the spine and the calf then doesn't seem to even notice what is going on.  Not sure if this works in sheep.

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 09:15:40 am »
Not the sort of thing a fellow like to dwell on  :innocent:  But, incision sounds better than the Burdizzo.  I assume there’s no time limit on incision castration so I’ll give it a couple of weeks to let them settle in before the deed.
Thanks.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 10:08:20 am »
We burdizzo our calves and they often don't even seem to notice.  But you do need to know exactly what you are doing.

I have discussed using the burdizzo on lambs but BH doesn't like it for lambs.  I had to get the vet to do some of my little wethers last year - testes too small to ring when I could catch them, and couldn't catch them once they were big enough  ::) - and asked what he thought about burdizzo.  He preferred the knife, and certainly wouldn't use a burdizzo later than one month in a lamb.  (It's up to 3 months in calves.)

Your story is another I will use when preaching that people should always consider ringing unless they are in the business of breeding tups!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
Re: When to castrate. Update.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 06:17:52 pm »
My vet has been extremely busy so has only now got round to my lamb castration.

She recommended the Burdizzo rather than the knife.  Its quick, easy and no risk of fly strike or wound infection.  So I held the lambs while she did the deed, it was quick, about a minute each testicle.  Lambs gave a couple of kicks when the clamp went on, relaxed while it was on and fine when it was released.  A bit subdued for an hour but then back in the field having a nibble. 
I’d have no qualms about this method in the future, if I ever get caught out again.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 07:20:57 pm »
I've Burdizzo'd a few, think its a good method

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 09:17:46 pm »
Like most things, it's probably fine if you know what your are doing ::) .  An experienced farmer did our first store lambs for us - and I ended up with more lambs in the Spring :o

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS