Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: capons  (Read 4823 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
capons
« on: March 24, 2015, 11:54:30 am »
Hi
anyone got the absolute low down on these in the UK? Some google searches tell you hormonal caponisation is illegal, others that surgical caponisation is illegal. Some sites are selling Christmas cockerels and saying they used to be called capons (but they arent being specific as to their 'slow growing' cockerels being caponised or not) and are 130 day old on culling.

just curious, not thinking that people should be doing their own surgically but am wondering just how tasty they are!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: capons
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 12:05:54 pm »
The surgical method used in days of old was positively barbaric Lord Flynn. It involved tying the cockerel down and hanging weights off the legs to stretch it out, then without anaesthetic the chest cavity was entered to remove the testese which are situated between the wings. The survival rate at 6 weeks old was about 75% I read! it was also rather time consuming. Can't think for a moment it would be legal.

As far as I know hormonal caponisation is practiced in France, where I presume it is legal, but can't be certain. I do know the bird is supposed to get even more tender with age, but there will be a point at which extra feed results in insufficient growth to warrant continuing.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 12:19:21 pm »
The surgical method used in days of old was positively barbaric Lord Flynn. It involved tying the cockerel down and hanging weights off the legs to stretch it out, then without anaesthetic the chest cavity was entered to remove the testese which are situated between the wings. The survival rate at 6 weeks old was about 75% I read! it was also rather time consuming. Can't think for a moment it would be legal.

yeah, I know its very invasive-there are some horrid 'how to' videos on US sites whereby they go though the back-like I said, people shouldn't be doing it. I expect there are more humane ways to do it surgically (using anaesthetics) but hardly worth while commercially and still possible unethical given its so invasive. I wonder what the hormonal ones taste like?

So these places selling Christmas cockerels-what breed/cross are they? They look like Hubbards etc but guessing at 130 days they must be something else?

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 06:44:27 am »
Caponisation is still legal practice in France and often involves a surgical incision either side of the cockerel to remove the testicle at around 10 weeks in some places. It enables them to grow with hens without bothering them thus loosing condition. They can reach much higher weights and the meat is more tender like a hen. Some producers bring them on for 8-9 months and due to this length of time plus the procedure enables them to fetch much greater prices. Capon used to be the French Xmas dinner instead of turkeys. Hormonal castration has led to issues as I'm guessing it's not too sensible to be eating chicken pull of oestrogen or the like.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 07:14:55 am »
Well just goes to show how far more advanced in animal welfare the UK are compared to France.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 12:41:50 pm »
Some sites are selling Christmas cockerels and saying they used to be called capons (but they arent being specific as to their 'slow growing' cockerels being caponised or not) and are 130 day old on culling.

They're just selling older cockerels  ;D

The term capon referring to a big chicken has just stuck but they won't be capons as such as its been illegal in the UK since the 70's

As far as I remember its legal in France but only in certain traditional breeds..

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS