Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Male pigs and bacon  (Read 5026 times)

B3a5tie

• Joined Feb 2015
Male pigs and bacon
« on: March 23, 2015, 09:02:41 pm »
Hi All.  :wave: In the excellent book "Get Started In Pig Keeping: Teach Yourself" by Tony York he states that male pigs should not be used for producing bacon whether castrated or not. But he doesn't say why. Does anyone on here know why? Thanks!  :pig:

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
Re: Male pigs and bacon
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 09:34:40 pm »
Not sure, maybe something to do with boar taint risk, but I have made plenty of bacon from male pigs and it's been as good as that from gilts...

B3a5tie

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 09:45:27 pm »
Thanks Martha. Wondered the same thing but not sure why bacon would be worse than pork in terms of boar taint. We have also made bacon from males as you did and no problems as were still young - 6 - 7 months! Very strange!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 07:40:30 am »
The thing is if you write a book you can put whatever you want in it, even if it is nonsense, and people will buy the book and will believe everything in it.

B3a5tie

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 11:14:57 am »
Agree Hughesy! But I don't believe everything I read - have written to the author so will let you all know what he says.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 11:19:59 am »
My father kept a herd of 200 or so sows, all successfully producing bacon pigs, both sexes.

Let us know what the guru says  :pig: :pig: :pig:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 11:23:39 am »
Oh, is Tony York still going????

B3a5tie

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 12:12:21 pm »
Not sure Anke but I've e-mailed him. No response yet. Assume he still runs Paradise Pigs... :thinking:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 01:19:24 pm »
Think about it. If the world's pig industry only used gilts for bacon what the hell would they do with all the boars? If anything boars grow a little bit bigger a little bit quicker, so are more suitable for bacon production.

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 03:59:47 pm »
It's said (by whom, I'm not sure!) that if there's any taint in the meat the curing process will amplify it. I'm not sure exactly why this would be  :thinking:
I'm one of the folk who can detect taint so only ever cure gilts/sows just to be on the safe side  ;)

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 05:24:13 pm »
Could the thinking be that a bacon pig is grown on for a little longer and so more likely to develop taint if a boar is used as opposed to a gilt?

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 08:49:24 pm »
The butcher who did our bacon (from our male pigs) did say he thought gilts were better but that was because of the shape of them rather than taint or anything like that. He felt that gilts' belly was thicker as they were more round and compact and the boars tended to be longer and more "rangy" so the cuts a little thinner if that makes sense.

That being said it was fabulous bacon, boys or not!

B3a5tie

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 07:59:00 am »
Still no reply from Tony York  :( . Thanks for your replies though!  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS