Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First Pigs  (Read 3100 times)

Gail@BrickHouse

• Joined Mar 2015
First Pigs
« on: March 23, 2015, 02:11:10 pm »
 :pig: :pig:
Any recommendations for first pigs... breed wise and are boys easier ( or tastier) than girls or vice versa ?

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
Re: First Pigs
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 02:30:44 pm »
Cue lots of personal faces. Our very first pigs were British lop. Docile fab pigs. Blooming tasty but can get over fat so pays to keep a close eye. Have also heard that other big floppy eared pigs like large blacks and gos are equally easy. At the weekend we picked up a couple of saddleback weaners and currently they are  less easy. Wild as hell and one is a bit snappy. Hoping they chill out before they get much bigger. Girls or boys ? We've only ever done boys. Not sure it matters, just don't mix them

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 02:56:40 pm »
Lots of info (and opinions) on all aspects on TAS.  My personal preference is for GOS and you might as well get boars if they're definitely going for meat as they finish in a couple of weeks less than gilts.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 03:18:30 pm »
We have only done kune kunes, by far the friendliest breed, and although finish later than most of the traditional breeds, they tend to need MUCH less feeding, even better to feed mainly on grass and vegetables (not from the kitchen though!).
We tend to find castrated males the easiest to deal with as they don't get hormonal.
Our last were sent at about 14 months as it suited us time wise, and at 60kg deadweight, comparable to 'big pigs' And they taste really good!

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 05:32:48 pm »
I am a relative newcomer to pigs (coming up to 2 years). Started with 3 Welsh/Pietrain gilts which were lovely gently characters and leanish very tasty meat. Then Saddleback/Mangalitza boars which I adored for their looks and character but needed to control their feed more - bacon was amazing. I've just raised 2 Tamworth gilts who are about to go off and look a great shape. And finally now have Old Spots who I bred here (from Marches Farmer on here) and who (so far and accepting I haven't taken them to pork weight yet) are lovely pigs - bright, inquisitive and friendly. I think as others have said, everyone has their favourites but my (novice) advice would be to go for a breed you like the look of sourced from someone who knows what they're doing. It doesn't matter really whether boys or girls and boys (just not both) and I haven't been able to tell a difference taste-wise. Then spend lots of time with them/handling them which usually makes them friendly and fun to be around.
Have fun - I wouldn't be without pigs now...
MarthaR
 :pig: :pig: :pig:

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 07:52:07 pm »
I am still on my first pigs and have 2 saddlebacks boys. They are so friendly and we are Now completely addicted. Looking forward to seeing what the meat is like and planning where to put the next batch. Hoping to try a different breed to see what I like.
________
Caroline

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 08:01:35 pm »
You are bound to get a different answer from just about everyone you ask, but we have started with Large Blacks, and are finding them an absolute delight. (Although I really, really want an OSB too!).

B3a5tie

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 09:05:29 pm »
 :wave: We started with Large Blacks too and found them very friendly and easy to manage. Have had both boys and girls. Were strict on feeding so didn't get too fat - just fat enough! Good luck!

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 08:30:36 am »
We are on our first pigs too and have OSBs which are due to farrow next week. We are really enjoying them, friendly and bouncy- no idea what they'd taste like though- intending to eat their offspring!!!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 11:54:35 am »
I have kept Berkshires (over-fed them so a year's worth of lard, no bad thing!) Saddlebacks, friendly and tasty, Gloucester Old Spots, ditto but the tastiest and equally pleasant to keep were Oxford Sandy and Black. I have Kunes now and they are a delight to keep, good and trustworthy with children even when they have newborns and the meat is very tasty. Best thing is to keep trying different breeds and find one that suits you. Oh! and Kunes won't ruin your pasture but if you want an area dug over for veg etc. then maybe Tamworths?

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 01:27:55 pm »
We've reared GOS, OSB, various crosses, and a lot of Saddlebacks which form most of our herd. The OSB made very nice pork but grew a little bit slowly. The GOS didn't really live up to the hype, potentially a nice carcass but very easy to get too fat. Our British Saddlebacks give us the best compromise. We can produce a very nice carcass while they finish in a reasonable time, they have a great temperament as youngsters or adults and our breeding herd give us big litters with no health problems.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS