Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mid Wales kicking off  (Read 6318 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Mid Wales kicking off
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 11:22:26 am »
After sowing 3 lots of sweet peppers that failed to germinate while the hot peppers all did... I cracked and bought 3 seedlings from tesco. The next morning all my sweet pepper seeds germinated!!!! I now have lots of spares....

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 11:39:31 pm »
That happened to me last year. I sowed a raised bed with chard which didn't germinate. I wondered if it was because the bed had been filled with goat manure so I had several bags of compost spread over it and sowed another lot.

After three weeks of nothing, I was in the garden centre and saw they had chard seedlings for sale so I bought three little trays - about 36 plants. Went to plant them the next day and found all the seeds had germinated. I had to go and buy more compost to fill various troughs and pots to take all the seedlings.

We had plenty of chard to eat last year and the stuff in pots is still doing well

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 01:52:23 pm »
I didn;t have the heart to throw the spare sweet peppers and aubergines away so while i don;t expect any success i've just stuck some 20 peppers, 6 aubergines and a dozen cucumbers into the field veggie patch.
..and i was going to be sensible this year...

It looks like the parsnips are germinating but no sign of the carrots. All spuds up.. including some in the patches from last year and two years ago!!
Peas lookign good but beans noy too happy so gong to sow some reserves. Second batch of 80 mixed brassicas went in today. 100 sweetcorn a few days ago and sowing another batch of those (but just 25 more). My nutty friend Fiona had me sow a bunch of Okra for her but they wont go into the filed for another few weeks - thats a real longshot.
Onions sets looking decent as are a coupe fo hundred leeks... and i have another tub of about 100 to go in next month. As I say.. so much for being sensible..

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS