Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Birds for meat  (Read 2532 times)

prettydaffodil

• Joined Mar 2015
Birds for meat
« on: March 21, 2015, 07:17:00 pm »
I've had layers for years now and because we love eating chicken and we keep pigs for eating, it makes sense that we should get some table birds as well.

However, the pleasure for me is keeping my animals in as natural and happy environment as possible but, having eaten unwanted free-roaming cockerels in the past that were excessively gamey, sinewy, meatless and revolting, I'm worried that my gut feeling is that chickens have to have restricted roaming to taste good and that's really not my thing.

Can anyone with better knowledge than I have tell me the truth, rather than me relying on my instinct?

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
Re: Birds for meat
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 07:16:42 am »
Hi Prettydaffodil, your experience with free range chickens for the table would be very much dependent on the breed of chicken that you were eating. Certainly with a lot of the dual purpose breeds, their utility characteristics have been lost over the years so it becomes ever more important to get a strain from someone who focuses on this. If you want birds for the pot without too much disappointment then get some meat birds, like Indian Game that can also be crossed with a utility breed. Or a hybrid, like Hubbard or Sasso for quicker results. Free range will give you the depth of flavour as well as being more humane. Finishing them for the last 2-4 weeks in a more confined area can impart more fat. Hope this helps, Robin

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 09:10:14 am »
We now raise our meat birds using a pasture system promoted by Joel Salatin. It involves a movable pen which we drag onto new grass twice a day. More here:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/diary/new-pen-for-meat-birds/

It's worked really well for us, we use less feed since the birds eat a lot of green material, they seem to be much healthier, the grass gets a good clean and is fertilised, and they taste great.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 09:41:08 am »
You will find that anything with a Leghorn base isn't good eating Prettydaffodil. As you say they are best kept with restricted movement and prevented from fighting by using a 'peace keeper', which is an older cock. If you start culling at 20 weeks and have done by 26 weeks there shouldn't be a problem. Obviously you get rid of the trouble makers early. We bred TNN's and gave them plenty of freedom and no peacekeeper. Despite that they made excellent eating. Wyandottes were OK but Orpingtons were not and we only used the breast meat.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 06:09:22 pm »
I'm worried that my gut feeling is that chickens have to have restricted roaming to taste good and that's really not my thing.

Can anyone with better knowledge than I have tell me the truth, rather than me relying on my instinct?

No, restricting them moving around won't make them taste any better.

Their diet and breed are the things that will affect the taste.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 06:50:48 pm »
Thanks for asking the question PD. And for all the interesting answers!  :thumbsup:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 08:36:20 pm »
Google La Bresse chickens

Mine are heading towards being the ultimate duel purpose breed  :fc:

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 11:09:41 pm »
I put out a request for a RIR cockerel on FB last year for my breeding flock and ended up with 3offers of free birds. I took them all as they looked good in feather / leg colour.  Getting them back to the farm, one of them was literally twice the weight of the others. He's stunning. Like a black angus bull. Needless to say he's going with my hens and the others are now in the freezer.

You can't just go and get some chickens of a particular breed and expect them to match up to expectations. Strains are important.  I bought some really good RIR eggs 2 years ago which gave me 10 of each sex. The hens I still have and have finally got a male to do them justice. The boys made fantastic roasters. Lots of tasty meat and they were given plenty of space.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS